1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! distance from pivot x to balance beam?

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    Help! ive spent 2 days now trying to do this now and it driving me mad.

Given the following diagram, what distance from the pivot (x) is required to balance the beam?

any help would be highly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2
  4. Dec 26, 2008 #3
    Hello Sai_2008,

Please help Richardos with his question, but do not answer it for him, as this doesn't help anybody with the problem. Show exactly how you obtained this answer, so that everyone else with the same problem can see how you did it, should they have the same question.

Thanks very much,

Domnu :smile:

My Solution
    We need

[tex]\sum F_{left} x_{left} = \sum F_{right} x_{right}[/tex]

where [tex]F_{i}[/tex] denotes each force at a particular point (on the left or right) and [tex]x_{i}[/tex] denotes the distance away from the pivot at a particular point. What do we get from here?
  5. Dec 26, 2008 #4
    Oh, btw sai_2008, I'm not sure, but I think I know who you are? I just PMed you.. check please =]
  6. Dec 26, 2008 #5

The force moments about the pivot must be equal on both sides (Exactly as domnu said in the equation below) for the balance to occur.

i.e., 10k x 5 = 20k X 2.5

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6
    Just a word of advice, don't use x or X (especially not both in one line) to denote multiplication. I would use "*" for that if you don't want to parse it in TeX
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?