Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help extending volumes of revolution to fourth dimension

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    I am currently learning about volumes of revolution in calulus, and have looked ahead to surfaces of revolution as well. I want to try and extend this concept to revolving 3d functions over the x-axis into the fourth dimension. I found this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64536
    and saw how to find the content of a 3-ball (5th post).

I attemted to use this idea to find the content of the revolution about the x-axis of the revolution about the x-axis of 4-x2 but I couldn't quite puzzle through the method described in the above thread for anything other than spheres. The closest I came was the surface area of the solid of revolution, and realizing that I need to describe the circumference of the 3d solid of revolution with respect to the radius and/or height (for a sphere of radius 1 it would be 2[itex]\pi[/itex]ssin(r))

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does this seem way too far past a Calculus DC student in highschool? (and if so I'm still really interested in how this would work)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted