1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP finding FORCE OF FRICTION?

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    HELP finding FORCE OF FRICTION????

1. I'm pulling a 4.24kg block UP a ramp.
    2. The normal force is 9.21 N.
    3. The "motion" force as it is being pulled up the ramp at constant velocity is 3.5 N.

What is the force of friction acting on the block??

Please help....I've pondered over this prob and I'm confused as to what formulas to use, etc...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Re: HELP finding FORCE OF FRICTION????

Are you sure the normal force is 9.21N? That would be a quite steep ramp.
    What exactly is the "motion" force? The velocity is constant, so the net force is 0.
    The force that you use to pull must overcome both gravity and friction and has to be
    much bigger than 3.5N to do that.

With nearly all slope problems you have to split the forces involved in components parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3

Are you sure the normal force is 9.21N? That would be a quite steep ramp.
    What exactly is the "motion" force? The velocity is constant, so the net force is 0.
    The force that you use to pull must overcome both gravity and friction and has to be
    much bigger than 3.5N to do that.

With nearly all slope problems you have to split the forces involved in components parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Ya, with a normal force like that, the plane must be inclined around 77 degrees. That's steep!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook