1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help findng solutions to equations

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem is to find the critical points and what they are (saddle point, max, min) for the equation: f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2)*e^(y^2-x^2).

2. You will need to take partial derivatives of the function and set them equal to zero in order to solve for the critical points.

3. I did a lot of messy algerbra and got the partial derivatives. I found a minimum at (0,0). However, that is not my problem with the question. I already spoke to my professor about it and he said I was missing two critical points (-1, 0) and (1,0) - everything else was correct.

When setting fx(x,y) = 0, you get to a point where the equation factors out as:
    (e^(y^2-x^2))(-2x)(x^2+y^2-1) = 0
    I know (e^(y^2-x^2)) will never equal zero, so there is no critical point from that. -2x gives us critical value x = 0. And where I'm having trouble, is that x^2+y^2-1 = 0 gives x = -1 and x = 1.

I can see if you set y = 0, you will get x^2 = 1 which gives x = ±1. But then you could argue that you can set x = 0 and get y = ±1. But (0,±1) is not a critical point on the graph.

How does this work out? The function is a circle, so if x = 0, y = ±1 and if y = 0, x = ±1. So how do I convey that only (±1,0) are the critical points?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree that fx(x,y) = 0 on the entire unit circle, x2 + y2 = 1 .

Now, look at where fy(x,y) = 0 .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    Ok, so fy(x,y) is only equal to 0 when y = 0 since (1 + x^2 +y^2) does not ever equal zero, except for imaginary numbers

so the critical points are (0,0) and (±1,0)! Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted