Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Help get my telescope functional?

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    I've had a Meade DS 114 for a while. My kids dismantled it and apparently a piece is missing. The focuser tube is 2"; my eye pieces are 1.25" Meade says there was a piece which adapted the 1.25" eye pieces for use in the 2" hole (which also allowed for use of 2" eye pieces I guess). My "adapter" is missing. Meade doesn't have them anymore. I tried a couple of websites and haven't found anything. Does anyone have advice?
    Thanks,
    Renee

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3
    Thank You!!!

5. Aug 5, 2008 #4
    Any suggestions for the best eye pieces for a beginner? We had trouble locating much besides the moon and really big things....Thanks

6. Aug 5, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you really mean eyepieces? It sounds like you need a spotting scope (I think that's what it's called), or you need to align the one that you already have on the side of your telescope. Aligning it is more easily done in daytime, when viewing a distant object.

Or maybe you just need an eyepiece with a longer focal length, which would mean less magnification, a wider field of view, and easier to find things.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6
    No, I was wondering if I should start w/ a certain eyepiece for learning to find things. My viewfinder (spotting scope) seems fine, though I know I need to check its alignment w/ the main scope. Thx for reply!

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if your problem is with finding things I'll suggest using a low magnification. Maybe a 30mm or so eyepiece, which gives a 30x magnification on the DS 114. Or use the longest focal length eyepiece you can find.

(f=910 mm, so 910mm/30mm = 30 magnification)

p.s. I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to astronomy, so others in here may have a better idea.

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

According to the specs, it comes with a 25mm eyepiece. That's 36x magnification. That is enough to recognize the larger planets so you can center them in the field of view for higher power viewing. It is also a good low power for viewing deep sky objects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?