1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP-how to make career in applied physics

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    hi all
    just completed my 12th...
    since childhood i have always been interested in studying science and always dreamt of applying it for the inventing new technologies and like...

can anyone help how to select courses for the same... i figured out two ways

a) i go for engineering in ece then going for applied physics in higher study programs or
    b) bachelors in physics and then switch to engineering in higher programs

really confused whats the better option

my aim is to develop skills in engineering as well as research physics.

i really want to make an impact and contribute-and i know it is extremely important to study in the top universities especially for ur higher studies like masters and phd. can someone pls guide on selection procedures for the best universities for masters nd phd too

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2
    Birthday or year of schooling? In the former case, just focus on getting good grades and follow your interests, otherwise. And stop reading now.

Why is half an education in field X and half an education in field Y better than a full-fledged education in X or Y, anyways?

Research physics is only taught starting from a PhD course. "Skills in engineering" are also taught in undergrad programs. So if you are serious about this then option (a) from above will be more suitable. I don't quite see why someone would hire an engineer for physics research, though.

Welcome to the dreams of everyone else.

Proper writing is rumored to play a role. And grades. And letters of recommendation. Which presumably brings us back to my first sentence above.

4. May 20, 2012 #3
    IT is actually equivalent of high school in my country.

coz it occurs to me physicists can only do the theoretical stuff, they lack skills to actually apply nd invent something new. i want to know the theoretical stuff as well as its applications. pls correct me if i my approach is wrong.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook