Help I Have An Electronics Test

In summary, after studying amplifiers and their operation, the speaker realizes that they do not fully understand how they work. They discuss how the output voltage can go below 0, even though it is earthed at 0V. They come to the conclusion that the capacitor acts as a voltage source, allowing the voltage to drop below 0.
sanado
After studying amplifiers and their operation, i suddenly realized today that i don't really know how they work at all.

Assume Vcc = 6V for an NPN transistor, biased correctly to fluctuate about 3V

In the Vout, once the DC part has been removed, how can the voltage possibly go lower than 0. If the amplifier is earthed, then isn't the minimal possible voltage 0? Wouldn't the V out at this point then be clipped and become 0? From the questions I've seen it obviously isn't but i don't understand why...Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If the output voltage of the transistor is greater than 3V the capacitor will charge. If the output voltage goes below 3V the capacitor will discharge and act like a voltage source itself, with its positive side on the left and the negative side on the right.

Okay, that makes sense. So the capacitor acts as a voltage source and this is the reason why the voltage can drop below 0 (the Earth V)?

1. What are some tips for studying for an electronics test?

Some tips for studying for an electronics test include reviewing your notes and textbook, practicing with sample problems, and making flashcards for key concepts and equations. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates and to ask your teacher for any additional resources or study materials.

2. How can I best prepare for hands-on portions of an electronics test?

To prepare for hands-on portions of an electronics test, make sure you have a strong understanding of the theoretical concepts and principles. Practice building and troubleshooting circuits, and familiarize yourself with the tools and equipment you will be using. It may also be helpful to review any lab notes or procedures provided by your teacher.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid on an electronics test?

Common mistakes to avoid on an electronics test include not fully reading and understanding the instructions, not labeling components or units in your calculations, and not double-checking your work for errors. It is also important to pace yourself and not rush through the test, as this can lead to careless mistakes.

4. How can I stay calm and focused during an electronics test?

To stay calm and focused during an electronics test, try to get a good night's sleep before the test and eat a healthy breakfast. Take deep breaths and try to relax your mind and body. If you feel stuck on a particular question, move on to another one and come back to it later. Remember to manage your time wisely and don't spend too much time on one question.

5. What should I do if I don't know the answer to a question on an electronics test?

If you don't know the answer to a question on an electronics test, don't panic. First, read the question carefully and try to eliminate any obviously incorrect answers. If you are still unsure, make an educated guess based on your understanding of the topic. It is also a good idea to show your work and explain your reasoning, as partial credit may be given for showing effort.