1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Help in taking an extra math course

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am a Mech. Engineering major and I have not solved yet my class schedule for next semester. Most of the classes I am already registered are general classes (History, Government, Economics) no math or engineering courses because I will transfer to another school and I dont know if I can get credit for them later, but I already completed my required mat courses (Calculus I, II, III, Diff. Equations) and basic engineering courses like Statics and Dynamics.

Since I dont have any math related course, I was thinking in take an extra math course, something like Statistics (this is not required in my degree). A professor told me that if I go to grad school one day, statistics will be a helpful tool for writing a thesis.

Do you think this is a good idea or is just a waste of time? You can suggest me other course to take

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2

An intro course in probability and statistics can always be somewhat useful (and are often compulsory for engineering majors, at least here). I'd also look into taking a course in partial diff. eqs., as I'm sure that will come in handy in the future.
  4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Yeah, take PDEs. you will need it. also consider taking prior to PDE's vector calc. It presents theory that will build into the applications of heat transport,vibrations,etc.
    Also, It might not hurt to consider a math modeling course concurrently with Vector Calc.
    Then take PDE's.

If you want to wrap up your math skills in one semester, you could vouch to take a "mathematical methods for engineers" course. That would probably be your best bet, would cost less in time and money as well.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    **take a stats course by all means. I think all engineers have to take it if I'm not mistaken.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?