1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help indexed family sets proof!

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ai and Bi are indexed families of sets. Prove that Ui (Ai [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Bi) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] (UiAi) [itex]\bigcap[/itex] (UiBi).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose arbitrary x. Let x [itex]\in[/itex]
    {x l [itex]\forall[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Ai[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Bi)
    This means x [itex]\in[/itex]{x l [itex]\forall[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Ai)[itex]\wedge[/itex][itex]\forall[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Bi).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This means x [itex]\in[/itex][itex]\neg[/itex][itex]\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\notin[/itex]Ai)[itex]\wedge[/itex][itex]\neg\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\notin[/itex]Bi)}
    Which is equivalent to: x[itex]\in[/itex]{x l [itex]\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Ai)[itex]\wedge[/itex][itex]\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Bi)}
    Therefore, x[itex]\in[/itex]{x l ([itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]IAi)[itex]\bigcap[/itex](Ui[itex]\in[/itex]IBi)}
    Therefore, is equiv. to Ui[itex]\in[/itex]I(Ai[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Bi), then x[itex]\in[/itex](Ui[itex]\in[/itex]IAi)[itex]\bigcap[/itex](Ii[itex]\in[/itex]IBi).
    Therefore Ui[itex]\in[/itex]I(Ai[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Bi)[itex]\subseteq[/itex](Ui[itex]\in[/itex]IAi)[itex]\bigcap[/itex](Ii[itex]\in[/itex]IBi).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are you trying to being by taking an arbitrary x in [itex] \bigcup_{i=1}^\infty (A_i \cap B_i) [/itex] ? If so, why are you applying the "[itex] \forall [/itex]" quantifier to the index?

I suggest beginning this way:

Let x be an arbitrary element of [itex] \bigcup_{i=1}^\infty (A_i \cap B_i) [/itex]

For such an x, we know that there exists an index j such that [itex] x \in A_j \cap B_j [/itex]. This follows from the definition and properties of a union of sets.

This implies [itex] x \in A_j [/itex] and [itex] x \in B_j [/itex] by definition of an intersection of two sets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook