Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove U (Ai X Bi) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] (U Ai) X (U Bi)

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose {Ai l i [itex]\in[/itex]I} and {Bi l i [itex]\in[/itex]I} are indexed families of sets.

Prove that U i [itex]\in[/itex]I(Ai X Bi) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] (Ui [itex]\in[/itex]IAi) X (Ui [itex]\in[/itex]IBi)

2. Relevant\subseteq equations
    From How to Prove It, 2nd Edition, Sec. 4.1 #11a)

3. The attempt at a solution

Let (x, y) be arbitrary. Suppose (x, y) [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I (Ai X Bi).

Since (x, y) [itex]\in[/itex][itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(Ai X Bi), there exists an i[itex]\in[/itex]I with x[itex]\in[/itex]Ai and y[itex]\in[/itex]Bi.

So x [itex]\in[/itex]{xl[itex]\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(x[itex]\in[/itex]Ai)} and
    y[itex]\in[/itex]{yl[itex]\exists[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I(y[itex]\in[/itex]Bi)}

Therefore, x [itex]\in[/itex][itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I Ai and y[itex]\in[/itex][itex]
    \bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I Bi.

This is equivalent to ([itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I Ai) X ([itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I Bi). Hence, [itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I (Ai X Bi)[itex]\subseteq[/itex](Ui[itex]\in[/itex]I Ai) X ([itex]\bigcup[/itex]i[itex]\in[/itex]I Bi).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    That looks very good!!!!

It might be instructive to find a counterexample to the reverse inclusion...

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. I have a very picky professor.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook