1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help -interpreting- this topology question, no actual work required!

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the set S ⊆ C[0, 1] consisting of continuous functions which map Q to Q is dense, where the metric on C[0, 1] is defined by d(f,g) = max |f(x)−g(x)|.

All else I need to know is what the question doesn't mention - what the set is dense in? I assume it doesn't mean dense in itself since it probably wouldn't bother giving a specific space then, so do you think it means the set of continuous R->R functions on [0,1] or all R->R functions on [0,1], or what? Just need to actually understand what it means before I can get going - thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure they mean dense in C[0,1], the set of all continuous functions from [0,1]->R.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    Once again Dick, thanks for all the help, you're a lifesaver!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook