1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Kinetic Energy / Inclined Plane

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    1) A 1.0-kg object moving in a certain direction has a kinetic energy of 2.0 J. It hits a wall and comes
    back with half its original speed. What is the kinetic energy of this object at this point?
    Attempt at solution: 1/2mv^2 = 1/2m(0.5)v^2
    An object of mass 10.0 kg is released from the top of an inclined plane which makes an angle of inclination of 30.0 ° with
    the horizontal. The object slides along the inclined plane. The questions refer to the instant when the object has traveled
    through a distance of 2.00 m measured along the slope. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the mass and the
    surface is 0.200. Use g = 10.0 m/s2.
    How much work is done by the force of friction?

Attempt: mgh - mkmgd= 1/2mv^2
    I keep getting the wrong answer for this one... is my equation wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

1 Careful with your parenthesis .... 1/2m(v/2)2

In 2. you need to draw a force diagram.

The normal weight to the incline is a function of the angle θ. It is the normal force*μ acting over that distance that will be the work done by friction
  4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If the original kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2 = 2.0 J, what does the final kinetic energy equal? Hint: replace v with v/2.
    Yes, your equation is a bit wrong. You didn't make use of the angle of inclination. How does the angle affect the normal force, and thus the friction force?
  5. Dec 17, 2008 #4
    thanks for the hints, i'll work on them some more!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?