Help me calculate the value of h when I know a formula and the value of g

In summary, to calculate the value of h when given a formula and the value of g, you can use substitution by plugging in the known values for g and solving for h. This method can be applied to various mathematical equations and can help determine the value of h in a given scenario.
keir
Homework Statement
I have a formula and value of g but I don't know why can't I to calculate a height because everytime the result is bad.
Relevant Equations
h = (√(G * 10**-11 * M * 10**24)/g) - R

G = 6.674 - the gravitational constant
M = 5.972 - mass of the Earth
R = 6371000 - the radius of the Earth
g = 0.014 or 0.025 (I got a few results because of the different coordinates)
The result of h from my calculations is equal to about 162321138 when it should be about 400km or 400000m and I don't why.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the original problem?

Your formula for h in terms of g looks correct. But, something's wrong with the numbers. 400 km is not very far above the surface of the earth. You can check that at 400 km, g is about 8.7 m/s2.

(Actually, when I look carefully at your parentheses, they don't look correctly placed. This might be just a typo because your result of 162321138 m corresponds to using the correct formula with g = .014 m/s2.)

Last edited:
TSny said:
Your formula for h in terms of g looks correct. But, something's wrong with the numbers. 400 km is not very far above the surface of the earth. You can check that at 400 km, g is about 8.7 m/s2.

(Actually, when I look carefully at your parentheses, they don't look correctly placed. This might be just a typo because your result of 162321138 m corresponds to using the correct formula with g = .014 m/s2.)
These are the results (value of g) that are showing sensors in the computer on ISS station. When I checked the g = 8.7 the results was very close to real height of ISS station. But te results (value of g) from official page of ISS are showing very similar to my.

keir said:
These are the results (value of g) that are showing sensors in the computer on ISS station. When I checked the g = 8.7 the results was very close to real height of ISS station. But te results (value of g) from official page of ISS are showing very similar to my.
Can you please give a link to the official page?

From a quick glance, this table is giving the readings of accelerometers on the ISS as multiples of g (9.8 m/s2). An accelerometer in free-fall should read zero. The accelerometers in the ISS will not quite read zero due to rotation of the station or other effects.

TSny said:
From a quick glance, this table is giving the readings of accelerometers on the ISS as multiples of g (9.8 m/s2). An accelerometer in free-fall should read zero. The accelerometers in the ISS will not quite read zero due to rotation of the station or other effects.
So can I calculate height of ISS?
Because when I multiply 9.8 by these results in tabel and than multiply this by 10 and subtract 9.8 by previous result? and than the result is very similar to real (about 50km difference)

No, you cannot, any object in free fall will have g=0 independent of the height.

keir said:
So can I calculate height of ISS?
No, I don't believe so.

[In principle, the height of the ISS could be approximately determined if the accelerometers are sensitive enough to measure "tidal forces" on the ISS. See https://www.quora.com/How-much-microgravity-is-there-on-ISS-due-to-tidal-forces (particularly the answer given by Jacob Solinksky). As he shows, the tidal acceleration would be of the order of 10-4 m/s2, or 10-5 g. But the values of acceleration given in the table in your link are at least an order of magnitude greater than this. So, the "tidal forces" appear to be too small to be measured by the accelerometers.]

1. What is the formula for calculating h when I know the value of a and g?

The formula for calculating h is h = a/g, where h represents the height, a represents the acceleration due to gravity, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the value of h using the formula and the value of g?

To determine the value of h, simply substitute the known value of g into the formula h = a/g. Then, solve for h using basic algebraic principles.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate the height in any situation?

This formula is specifically used to calculate the height of an object when the acceleration due to gravity is known. It may not be applicable in other situations, such as when air resistance is a factor.

4. Is h always measured in the same units as a and g?

Yes, since h is calculated by dividing a by g, the units for h will be the same as the units for a divided by the units for g.

5. Are there any factors that could affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Yes, there are several factors that could affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as the precision of the known values for g and a, external forces acting on the object, and any limitations of the formula itself.