Help me expand this proof to make more sense.

• Thread starter uncledub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the author of the summary does not understand the material and does not think that anyone would be able to understand it. The author also does not think that anyone would be able to write the proof.
uncledub

Homework Statement

f^-1(Union{Vsub alpha : alpha belongs to Lambda})=Union{f^-1(Vsub alpha): alpha belongs to Lambda}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that x belongs to X. Then x belongs to f^-1(Union{Vsub alpha : alpha belongs to Lambda}) iff f(x) belongs to Union {Vsub alpha : alpha belongs to Lambda} iff there exists beta belongs to lambda such that f(x) belongs to Vsub beta iff there exists beta belongs to lambda such that x belongs to f^-1(Vsub beta) iff x belongs to Union{f^-1(Vsubalpha) :alpha belongs to lambda}

Isnt a proof supposed to make it so that the reader can understand it? With all of the iff's it just gets obnoxious. How does this proof work in a way that someone would actually write it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use latex. What you wrote is barely readable to me.

I don't know what latex is in this context. Will MathType paste in here?

uncledub, you are learning proofs. its time you learn latex.

I use computers and I have never learned DOS, or COBOL. And I never will.

I have made websites and I never learned HTML (other than a few simple commands), PHP, etc.

I am not sure what the correlation is between learning proofs and learning latex. When I type up my assignments I use MathType. MathType is insanely easy to use. I am not sure how anyone could expect me to learn a completely different language just so I can type stuff up.

I have never met a high school math teacher who knows latex or even knows what it is. I just want to get through this course. I am not going to be a Math Major. But I do want to take a Math course every once in a while.

Does this show up?

Attachments

• 1-5-10.gif
    1-5-10.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 451
Yes I can see that. I am familiar with introductory analysis but the notation here is
confusing. What book is this from ? there are so many 'iff' s there which makes it
confusing

Introduction to Topology - Baker

The entire book is like this. It is awful. You have to have a Masters in Mathematics to understand it.

well uncledub, there are prerequisites of every course. I wouldn't try taking differential
geometry class since I haven't had graduate level real analysis. So have you taken
all the courses which are required before taking this course ?
I think the book your course is using, is not good according to the reviews on
amazon

Code:
[URL][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the introductory course that is given by the math department before any Masters level math courses. I passed all of my Bachelors level classes with flying colors. But it was at a different University so maybe I was short changed in my education. I thought I was going to take my 18 hours of masters level math so I could teach high school concurrent college algebra but I think I am going to stop that and work on other certifications. I just want to make it through.

Now that this assignment is done I can ask the professor to work out the problem so I can see what I should have done.

1) How do I know if my proof is valid?

To determine if a proof is valid, one must follow the rules of logic and reasoning. This includes clearly stating the assumptions and premises, providing a logical sequence of steps, and arriving at a conclusion that is supported by the previous steps.

2) What should I do if I get stuck while trying to expand a proof?

If you encounter difficulties while expanding a proof, it is important to take a step back and analyze the problem. Look for any assumptions or premises that may be missing or need further clarification. You can also seek assistance from a colleague or mentor for fresh insights and perspectives.

3) How can I make my proof more concise?

To make a proof more concise, one should try to eliminate any unnecessary steps or assumptions. Additionally, using symbols and notation can help condense the proof and make it easier to follow. It is also important to clearly explain any symbols or notation used in the proof.

4) Is it necessary to provide real-life examples in a proof?

While it is not always necessary to include real-life examples in a proof, it can help to provide a better understanding of the concept being proven. Examples can also serve as a way to check the validity of the proof and provide further support for the conclusion.

5) How can I ensure that my proof is easily understood by others?

To ensure that a proof is easily understood by others, it is important to use clear and concise language, as well as provide explanations for any symbols or notation used. Additionally, organizing the proof in a logical and easy-to-follow manner can make it more comprehensible for others.