1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me in problem related to simple harmonic oscillations

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    Problem related to Simple Harmonic Oscillations

A test tube floats, mass 20gm is set into vertical oscillations on the surface of the water. If the external diameter of the tube is 2.5cm, show that the vertical oscillations are SHO and find period of oscillations.
    I found it that it attains a simple harmonic motion but I cannot make a equation for it trying for it my best.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you always expect to "find" answers somewhere? How about doing it yourself? If you press a float "x" cm into the water, what is the upward force on it?

What is the speed of an object falling through a V shaped tube at any point. "Conservation of Energy" should give that easily.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Hareesh! :smile:
    How did you prove that without an equation? :confused:

("shm" doesn't just mean "periodic")

Hint: again, use Newton's second law F = ma to relate the forces on the test tube to its position.

What do you get? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?