Help me out *About AP Physics in High School*

In summary, the speaker enjoyed Physics pre-ap last year and had a great teacher, but the new AP teacher is not as effective in teaching. They also struggled with learning on their own in AP Chem last year. Despite enjoying Calculus and Physics, the speaker is struggling with AP problem packets and is considering dropping the class. They are advised to communicate with the teacher and provide feedback on their teaching style.
MisteR
Okay so I really, really liked Physics pre-ap last year. We had a great teacher, and I understood everything. Fast forward a year later, and that teacher left, and the new AP teacher is okay. He's a great guy, but I can't really grasp the way he teaches. Last year I was in AP Chem, and hated how my teacher taught, basically we had to learn everything on our own, which is extremely difficult for me to do at this point in time.

I absolutely love Calculus and I love the subject of Physics. In Physics, I pretty much understand most of the material, etc..and do good on the tests, but we get AP problem packets sometime, from old AP tests.. The packets are owning me! I'm looking at one right now, and I've only done 1 out of the 5, and I just can't get it

I hated every moment last year in AP Chem, and I don't want physics to turn out that way too. I am wondering if I should drop it... :/ Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you're considering dropping it because you're finding it to be a challenge. That's a bad habit to get into - especially if you really enjoy physics.

Have you tried talking to this teacher about his or her teaching style, or identifying what it is about the way that the previous teacher did things that the new one could improve on? Teachers should be open to feedback about the way they're doing things.

Hello! It sounds like you had a great experience with pre-AP Physics last year and are struggling with the transition to AP Physics this year. It's understandable that having a different teacher and teaching style can make it challenging to grasp the material. I would suggest talking to your current AP Physics teacher about your concerns and see if you can work together to find a teaching and learning style that works for you. Additionally, you can also reach out to your pre-AP Physics teacher for any tips or advice on how to approach the AP material. Remember, it's important to not get discouraged and to keep practicing and seeking help when needed. Dropping the course should be a last resort, as it may limit your future academic opportunities. I would also suggest reaching out to classmates or forming a study group to work on the AP problem packets together. Best of luck!

What is AP Physics in High School?

AP Physics is an advanced level course offered in high schools that covers the fundamental concepts of physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is designed to prepare students for the AP Physics exam and potentially earn college credit.

Who should take AP Physics in High School?

AP Physics is typically taken by students who have a strong interest and aptitude in math and science. It is recommended for students who plan to pursue a career in a STEM field or who are interested in challenging themselves with a rigorous course.

What are the benefits of taking AP Physics in High School?

Taking AP Physics in high school can have many benefits, including preparing students for college-level science courses, potentially earning college credit, and demonstrating to colleges that a student has a strong background in science and math.

What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics in High School?

The prerequisites for AP Physics vary by school, but most schools require students to have completed or be currently enrolled in Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. Some schools may also require students to have taken or be currently taking a basic physics course.

What can I expect to learn in AP Physics in High School?

In AP Physics, students will learn about the fundamental principles and laws of physics, such as motion, forces, energy, and electricity. They will also develop problem-solving skills and learn how to apply these concepts to real-world situations.