1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me solve my dilema.Kinematics and dynamics of Rigid body problem.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find acceleration-x ̈ of the load. Force F=10G, friction μ=1/3, mass of he body is G.

I tried two ways of solving this problem but not sure if any is good. I think second is good. But wondering if first is also good?

2. Relevant equations

Ek=1/2 G/g x ̇^2

Fμ=G μ

3. The attempt at a solution

Please look at the picture.There you can see my effort in solving this problem. Thanks for any help.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa453/nikola5210/?action=view&current=Load-Copy.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I think you mean that the weight of the block is G, not the mass.

The first approach is correct, but not the second. It's not true that the rate at which work is being done is equal to the increase in kinetic energy, because friction takes away some of that energy.

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Work would be dA=Fdx-Gμdx

dA=10Gdx-G/3dx
    dA=(10-1/3)Gdx
    dA=29/3 Gdx

from which acceleration is x=29/3 g

For first approach I don't see how to get G μ+G/g x ̈ =F from Newton's second law?

Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook