Acceleration of load with friction and applied force F=10G

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CICCI_2011
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find acceleration-x ̈ of the load. Force F=10G, friction μ=1/3, mass of he body is G.

I tried two ways of solving this problem but not sure if any is good. I think second is good. But wondering if first is also good?

Homework Equations



Ek=1/2 G/g x ̇^2

Fμ=G μ

The Attempt at a Solution



Please look at the picture.There you can see my effort in solving this problem. Thanks for any help.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa453/nikola5210/?action=view&current=Load-Copy.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean that the weight of the block is G, not the mass.

The first approach is correct, but not the second. It's not true that the rate at which work is being done is equal to the increase in kinetic energy, because friction takes away some of that energy.
 
Work would be dA=Fdx-Gμdx

dA=10Gdx-G/3dx
dA=(10-1/3)Gdx
dA=29/3 Gdx

from which acceleration is x=29/3 g

For first approach I don't see how to get G μ+G/g x ̈ =F from Newton's second law?

Thanks for your help