Help me solving this complex integral

In summary, the integral provided is over the unit circle with two poles at z=0 and z=1 and the main problem is the term exp(b/z). To solve it, the Laurent series for e^z and e^(1/z) must be computed and the coefficients for the 1/z term must be picked out. The final result is pi minus 2pi times the sum of the coefficients for the two poles.
sabbagh80
Hi,

could you please help me solving this integral:

[itex]\oint \frac{e^{-(a+b)+az+\frac{b}{z}}}{z(z-1)}dz[/itex]

over the unit circle, where [itex] a, b[/itex] are two positive constants (it is not a homework)
thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two poles, one in the centre (no problem) and on on the boundary (not that much of a problem, you just have to deform your contour slightly. I think you main problem is going to be exp(b/z) term.

hunt_mat said:
There are two poles, one in the centre (no problem) and on on the boundary (not that much of a problem, you just have to deform your contour slightly. I think you main problem is going to be exp(b/z) term.

I think the problem is exactly related to the pole which is placed at [itex] z=0 [/itex]. it is of order infinity. Am I right?

So the integral basically becomes:
[tex]
e^{-(a+b)}\oint_{\gamma}\frac{e^{az+\frac{b}{z}}}{z(z-1)}dz
[/tex]
According to the sources I have read, you have to compute the Laurent series for [itex]e^{z}[/itex] and te Laurent series of [itex]e^{\frac{1}{z}}[/itex] along with all the other functions involved and just pick out the coefficient of the [itex]1/z[/itex] term. Sorry, but it is going to take a lot of algebra on this one.

The answer is as follows:

Residue at pole z=1 is [itex] 2\pi \frac{1}{2} [/itex]
and residue at pole z=0 is [itex] -2\pi e^{-(a+b)}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^{n}\frac{b^m}{m!} [/itex]

So, we conclude the result as:

[itex] \pi - 2\pi e^{-(a+b)}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^{n}\frac{b^m}{m!} [/itex]

Is everything Ok?

1. How do I approach solving a complex integral?

When faced with a complex integral, it is important to first understand the basic concepts and techniques of integration. This includes being familiar with different integration methods such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of integrals and how they can be used to simplify complex expressions.

2. What are some common strategies for solving complex integrals?

One strategy for solving complex integrals is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be achieved by using techniques such as partial fraction decomposition or splitting the integral into multiple integrals. Another strategy is to use symmetry or special properties of the integrand to simplify the integral. It is also important to practice and gain experience with different integration techniques to become more familiar with their applications.

3. Can software or calculators be used to solve complex integrals?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that have the capability to solve complex integrals. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in integration in order to effectively use these tools. It is also recommended to double check the results obtained from software or calculators to ensure accuracy.

4. How do I know if I have solved a complex integral correctly?

One way to check if you have solved a complex integral correctly is to differentiate your answer and see if it matches the original integrand. This is known as the "backwards check" and is a useful method for verifying the correctness of an integral. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are consistent with the original problem.

5. Are there any tips for efficiently solving complex integrals?

One tip for efficiently solving complex integrals is to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques. It is also helpful to carefully analyze the integrand and look for patterns or special properties that can be used to simplify the integral. Additionally, breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using symmetry can also help expedite the solving process.