Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me solving this complex integral

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    Hi,

could you please help me solving this integral:

[itex]\oint \frac{e^{-(a+b)+az+\frac{b}{z}}}{z(z-1)}dz[/itex]

over the unit circle, where [itex] a, b[/itex] are two positive constants (it is not a homework)
    thanks a lot in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

There are two poles, one in the centre (no problem) and on on the boundary (not that much of a problem, you just have to deform your contour slightly. I think you main problem is going to be exp(b/z) term.

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    I think the problem is exactly related to the pole which is placed at [itex] z=0 [/itex]. it is of order infinity. Am I right?

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So the integral basically becomes:
    [tex]
    e^{-(a+b)}\oint_{\gamma}\frac{e^{az+\frac{b}{z}}}{z(z-1)}dz
    [/tex]
    According to the sources I have read, you have to compute the Laurent series for [itex]e^{z}[/itex] and te Laurent series of [itex]e^{\frac{1}{z}}[/itex] along with all the other functions involved and just pick out the coefficient of the [itex]1/z[/itex] term. Sorry, but it is going to take a lot of algebra on this one.

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5
    The answer is as follows:

Residue at pole z=1 is [itex] 2\pi \frac{1}{2} [/itex]
    and residue at pole z=0 is [itex] -2\pi e^{-(a+b)}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^{n}\frac{b^m}{m!} [/itex]

So, we conclude the result as:

[itex] \pi - 2\pi e^{-(a+b)}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^{n}\frac{b^m}{m!} [/itex]

Is everything Ok?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook