Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me tie up loose ends in operator theory

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dear knowledgeable person,

please, help me with the following problems:

Let [itex] A [/itex] be a closed operator in the Banach space [itex] (B, ||.||) [/itex].
    Let D(A) be its domain in B. Prove that D(A) endowed with the graph norm is a Banach space.

The graph norm is defined as:

let 'a' be a vector in D(A). Then [itex] ||a||_{\mathbb{graph}} := ||a||+ ||A a|| [/itex].

I can easily show that the graph norm makes D(A) a pre-Banach space, but what about completeness wrt the graph norm ? I'm sure it has to do with the closedness of A, but how ?

Also, how does one prove the quivalence of the 2 known definitions of a closed operator in a banach space ? Is it really trivial, as everyone claims ?

See also here
    http://planetmath.org/?method=l2h&from=objects&name=ClosedOperator&op=getobj

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    Are you aware that closed subsets of complete metric spaces are themselves complete? That should give you what you want.

4. Apr 15, 2011 #3

Landau

Science Advisor

It seems trivial. If (a_n) is a Cauchy sequence w.r.t. the graph norm, then both (a_n) and (Aa_n) is a Cauchy sequence w.r.t. the usual norm. Hence they converge to some a and b, respectively. As A is closed, we get that a is in D(A) and b=Aa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook