1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs HElp me to select US University for Phd in Computer Science

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Hi ...
    I want to do Ph.D in computer science from US . but could not make up my mind to select the US University. Please check my credentials n let me know whether I am eligible to get 100% scholarship in top US university renowned for Computer Science or not.
    :shy:My credentials
    10-->77%:biggrin:
    10+2-->63%:zzz:
    Graduation-->69%:shy:
    Masters-->82%:wink: (2008)
    6 month summer Intership.
    Currently working as a college faculty for Computer Department.

GRE-->1350:blushing:
    Toefl-->Preparing

I have short listed some universities but plz let me know.

Short listed ::universities::

University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    Carnegie Mellon University:frown:
    Princeton University:frown:
    Purdue University–West Lafayette
    University of Southern California
    University of Maryland–College Park
    University of California–San Diego
    Pennsylvania State University–University Park
    Texas A&M University–College Station
    Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State Univ
    Arizona State University
    University of Florida, Gainesville
    North Carolina State University
    University of Arizona
    University of California–Davis
    University of Colorado–Boulder
    University of Pennsylvania
    Yale University
    University of Virginia
    University of California–Irvine
    Michigan State University

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    Im not sure of your chances, but I thought the use of smileys was truly inspiring. I think if you are as good at CS as you are at issuing smiley faces then you have a good chance at any school you want.

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    As a fellow computer science student, I must commend you on your GRE score. Although your GRE score would barely get you into many of the schools you listed, it is high enough that they would at least take a look at your application. Also, I commend you on getting an internship.

Taking a specific look at the schools you listed, I see some challenges ahead for you. Carnegie Mellon University I have heard is one of the best, although your smiley shows you are aware that you might not have as much confidence in getting admitted there as some of the others. On the bright side, with good references and outstanding academic credentials, you could probably attract the interest of even the best of the best. Unfortunately, your 82% for the MS is too close to a C+ average, in my opinion, to warrant consideration by some of the schools you listed, including CMU. A C+ average is unacceptable for MS programs--it is essentially an F. You were just 2 points above failing your MS, which might be of concern for if you want to succeed in a PhD program that would most likely be harder than your MS program.

Yet your internship and your the experience teaching that you already have are sure to look positive to the admissions committee.

This would be a great choice for the recreational opportunities. Exercise can be a good way to relieve the stress of studying and research. Boulder is generally a hip and progressive community too. These reasons might be secondary to your consideration of the program's or department's academic and research quality of course.

An Ivy League university typically carries widespread general recognition as a prestigious institution. While it is true that within the specific domain of study this is less important--Carnegie Mellon isn't even Ivy League, not to say it isn't unknown among the general public--the element of prestige an Ivy League university is not to be ignored if you think it might set you apart in a broader field of competition that includes people from other domains and disciplines, such as business or public policy.

NC State and other universities in the Southern US and some in the Western US will generally have a lower cost of living.

GA Tech has a good reputation in the Southern US region. It might help with job connections. Also a lower cost of living.

Good luck on your PhD endeavor! :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. Sep 23, 2009 #4
    Please tell me the safe university list from the given list.Your imp. advice is highly solicited. :approve:

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    Hi cswave...
    Please tell me the safe university list from the given list. I am waiting for your reply:smile:...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook