Understanding Mechanics: Work, Momentum, and External Forces Explained

• Thread starter justagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, there are some clarifications needed regarding the relationship between conservative forces and external forces, and whether the conservation of momentum applies in these cases. It is important to understand that conservative forces do not necessarily mean no external forces, and the conservation of momentum is not guaranteed in cases where work is done by conservative forces.
justagirl
Hey, can any of you clarify a few things for me? I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!

If the work done on an object is by conservative forces, does that mean the momentum is conserved? I know if there aren't any external forces, then momentum is conserved. Does conservative forces mean no external forces?

Also, is the work-kinetic energy theorem still valid for nonconservative forces?

Lastly, if there are no external forces in the x direction but there is in the y direction, then it's possible that the y component of the momentum is not constant right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.A conservative force means (simply put) that there exist a potential energy function from which we may derive the force.
(The potential energy function is a function of the position of the object)
The work done on an object between two positions by a conservative force, is given by the difference of the potential energy function evaluations at these points.

2. Momentum may well change, even if the conservative force exerts no net work!
Example:
Shoot a ball straight up with velocity V (we consider the force of gravity as the only force acing on the ball). Some time later, the ball returns with velocity -V.
This is consistent with no work done, since the kinetic energy of the ball is unchanged.
However, the ball's momentum have changed..
In general, change in kinetic energy is due to net work, whereas change in momentum is due to net impulse.

3.You should not confuse conservative forces with external forces; they are completely different concepts.
4. "Also, is the work-kinetic energy theorem still valid for nonconservative forces?"
Written appropriately, yes.

Conservative means that there is not any kind of disipative process such as heat or friction. Conservative don't implies external. Not neccesarily.

Think what you said: if there are not external forces, then the momentum is conserved. But why?

The definition of momentum is [tex]\vec{p} = m \vec{v}[/tex]. If momentum is conserved then its module is constant with time, so:

[tex] \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{d(mv)}{dt} = m \frac{dv}{dt} = ma = f[/tex]

So, if f are external forces and are equal to zero, the momentum is conserved. But the second you said is not correct, conservative is not the same as external.

The work-kinetic energy theorem is valid if the force verifies the second Newton law.

Let be [tex]\delta W = \vec{F} d \vec{r}[/tex]. If we want to know the whole work, we have to integrate:

[tex]\int_A^B \vec{F} d \vec{r} = \int_A^B m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} d \vec{r} = \int_A^B m \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} d \vec{v} = m \int_A^B \vec{v} d \vec{v} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = T [/tex]

And finally, your third question.

Imagine that you have a ball moving in one direction. If wind blows, the ball may slow down and its momentum will be affected, but is the vertical component of momentum affected at any time? The answer is no, because the whole momentum was horizontal.

This example answers your question. The y component is constant but the x one is not. That is not neccesary for none of them to be equal to zero. A external force may change only one component.

Just for the record:
There are no disagreements between MiGui's approach and my own, as far as I can see.

Yes arildno, but when I begin to write your message was not there, I posted only six minutes after you. You beat me this time ;)

I just wanted to save the thread starter some confusion if he/she thought we might have differing opinions.
Since we have not, having both approaches present highlights different aspects of the same idea(which, IMO, is beneficial)

Thanks for your help! I just need one more clarification.

So I understand that external forces are not the same as conservative forces, so then it's FALSE to state that if the work is done by conservative forces, then momentum is conserved?

Yes, momentum is not necessarily conserved if the work done is due to conservative forces alone.
(It CAN be conserved, but not necessarily so).

1. What is the definition of mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces acting on objects. It involves understanding how objects move and interact with each other in different situations.

2. What are some common types of mechanics problems?

Some common types of mechanics problems include kinematics (study of motion without considering its cause), dynamics (study of motion and its causes), and statics (study of objects at rest or in equilibrium).

3. How can I approach solving a mechanics problem?

The first step in solving a mechanics problem is to clearly define the problem and identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, apply relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to draw diagrams and label all variables to help visualize the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not considering all the forces acting on an object, using incorrect equations or units, and not properly labeling variables. It is also important to check the direction and magnitude of forces to ensure they are consistent with the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mechanics problems?

Practice is key to improving understanding of mechanics problems. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and to seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. Working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also aid in understanding and solving mechanics problems.