1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Help : MS in Physics after Engineering in Mechanical

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    I am a Mechanical Engineer with two years of experience in CAD and manufacturing domain. I am planning for my MS. I have always been inclined towards physics. I want it to be the subject I take up for MS. What would you advise ? I don't know what field I would be suitable for, after I complete the program, for all I know, I would be in love with my Higher Studies. Please give appropriate constructive suggestions . BTW am extremely interested in astronomy and consider myself to have it in me what it would take to cope up with the syllabi.
    Would love to hear from someone who already has done it this way :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

fss

You are likely not qualified for admission to a graduate program in physics. You will need to do a lot of catch up before you have a chance of getting in.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    fss thanx for your reply. I would like to know on what grounds did you conclude I would not be Qualified enough for the program. Again, this is not like asking why you said that, but I would seriously like to have your opinion so that I could make a fair judgement of my own. Again, thanx a lot for replying:-)

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

fss

Engineering students (especially undergraduate engineering students) generally do not take the same level of mathematics or high-level undergraduate physics classes that would qualify them for a master's program.

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    Can that be made up for by taking some courses before the graduate program begins? Coz I have enquired with some program admins in the US universities and they said there are people from Engg backgrounds who are pursuing (have pursued) MS in Physics at their universities.

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6

fss

It depends on the course, and the requirements of the institution you want to attend. So far you haven't offered any specific, useful information to comment past vagaries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook