1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1

zyn

Hello. I've been wondering for almost a year or so if there's a possibility for me to take MS in Physics after having my degree in Civil Engineering. I always loved engineering and physics that's why I want to study both of them. If it is possible, can you help me guys on how I can apply for MS in Physics? and their requirements ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2
    Have you taken the PGRE yet? Scoring well will help your chances.

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    What about research? Is it possible for a graduate (here in my country, it means bachelor's) engineer without any prior research in physics to do a PhD in experimental/observational Physics?

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4
    I have taken both physics and engineering subjects. At first, my major was physics. Right after the first semester, I changed my major into mechanical engineering because I realized I didn't like it. They are not the same. So I guess, you need to study tons of materials. It's not just physics, but also math. I don't know if it's worth the time for you to change direction. But if you're good and having fun in studying civil engineering, then stick with it.

6. Jul 30, 2015 #5
    Most engineering guys doing the MSc Physics route will be Electrical or Mechanical and even then there will be holes in their physics knowledge. In the UK at least the taught masters will have a few compulsory modules and a bundle of optional ones so you might try to skip around the stuff you don't know but that approach isn't recommended. You'll have covered classical mechanics and maybe some of your materials knowledge covers thermodynamics or something but what about QM, EM, SR, Solid state and Stat mech to mention a few ? Even the CM stuff might expect knowledge up through Lagrangian/Hamiltonian forms.

I have to ask myself that with my BSc degree in Physics would I be able to do a masters in Civil Engineering and that would be a big fat no!!! ZapperZ says you guys should test yourself with a practice Physics GRE to see where your knowledge of physics gets you at UG level, I heartily agree. At the very least it's a mountain of study to catch up on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook