Help name seven baby skunks, please

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, skunks have little to no fear of humans and the cats like to make friends with them. The neighbor's dog killed all of the kittens that a stray cat that hangs around had. I am so sorry to hear about Miss Bun. But on the positive side, there are the times when you go into your kitchen and there's an opossum eating cat food like it's the most natural thing in the world.
Math Is Hard said:
:cry: I WANT A SKUNK! Everybody's got a skunk but me.
Zooby's got skunks, Ivan's got skunks, Tsunami's got skunks...
All I've got are lousy possums, uppity squirrels and an overweight cat!
(Vet told me today I need to put Jellyroll on a diet. Yeah, sure - that'll happen! :wink: )
I thought "Miss AfterMath" was yours?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I just meant that Evo's tail is bigger and hairier.
Bigger & hairier? :devil: Many things have been said about my tail, but "bigger & hairier" is not one of them. :devil:

Evo said:
I thought "Miss AfterMath" was yours?

I'll have to ask Tsunami if she can send her to me. Having a skunk would be so great. I think it would be so handy for getting rid of those boring dates who want to come up for coffee afterwards. :smile:

"Sure come in and have a seat. I'll just go make that coffee. Oh, and have you met Petunia? She's really friendly..."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ivan Seeking said:
I'll send you a skunk. How many would you like? :biggrin:

Do I get a discount if I buy in bulk?

I'll sell them stinking cheap!

Really I don't know where they are nesting now. I'm not even sure how many are still around. I know of one around my office, and I think a young one and an older one are nesting somewhere near the house. Tsu just saw one on the lawn and she was reluctant to approach it for some reason. Zoobie seems to be quite fascinated with something over near the dog house area.

Also, we proudly announce the arrival of our newest - Bun the Third. A one month old kitten that was lost, hungry, desparate, and looking for a home. We just lost Bun the Second - my special office kitty - so, since there is some kind of divine rule at work, we were expecting Bun the Third's arrival. She arrived right on time. She came walking up the driveway yesterday so Zoobie went out to get her. She was in the house within 30 minutes. Within another hour she was completely at home and fast asleep. Tsu will post a pic soon.

Last edited:
oh, Ivan, that's wonderful. I was very saddened to hear of the loss of your office kitty, but I am happy to hear that Bun 3 has arrived. I don't think I have ever picked any of my cats - they have always picked me. (and maybe I am soft-headed and sentimental, but I always think that the cat that has just left picks out the cat that comes next and sends the best cat for the job.)

and what a ringer this one is. She is a total lover; right away. Tsu and I are both completely kitten smitten. :biggrin:

Yes it was tough losing my girl so suddenly. She was a very special cat. She came to me at a hotel in Southern Oregon. I came back from dinner one night and she was waitin at my door as if she lived there. She was 6 months old and living in the parking lot with her first winter coming soon. We had a very strong bond immediately; more so than any cat I have ever owned. I was very sad when she died a few weeks ago. The vets best guess is that she had a blod clot. She was only about four and a half though most of our cats live 12-14 years. We had a persian for 18...I think 19 years.

Just curious... what's the meaning behind the name Bun?

Math Is Hard said:
Just curious... what's the meaning behind the name Bun?

Tsu thought Bun the first - also a stray - had a face that looked like a little butt. Her coloring was a little funny that way. :biggrin: Since I refused to name her buttface :rolleyes: , we landed on Bun.

Math Is Hard said:
(and maybe I am soft-headed and sentimental, but I always think that the cat that has just left picks out the cat that comes next and sends the best cat for the job.)
And this "replacement" dynamic is the reason you shouldn't shoot skunks. You get many more back than you eliminate. (It's a kind of "gremlin" principle.)

Well, they shouldn't shoot the skunks, but I don't want to hear that I.S. or Tsunami have gotten ill from having them around, either. I have to put their welfare first.

"Stubs" says "Hi" to Bun^3.

Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu thought Bun the first - also a stray - had a face that looked like a little butt. Her coloring was a little funny that way. :biggrin: Since I refused to name her buttface :rolleyes: , we landed on Bun.
Actually, I was a little more specific than that. The markings on her face (she was a calico kitty) made her little snout look very much like an anal sphincter :surprise: (being in medicine, I see a LOT of those! :biggrin:). I thought that Shincter Face was just a little bit long and pretentious :tongue2: for such a little kitty, so I shortened it to Butt Face. Well, Ivan had a problem with that name, too. :surprise: So we compromised a bit a came up with the name Bun (Head). :wink: Now we just LIKE the name Bun for a kitty!

Let's see... Our goats were Grunt, Bambi, Spud and Tater... A horse named Wizard, a bunny named One Bunny (from a fairy tale my dad made up for my niece and nephew many years ago - VERY funny :biggrin:). This should go in another thread, shouldn't it? :rolleyes:

That's quite a menagerie you have going! That's pretty funny about the butt-faced kitty. My cat looks like she was one a perfectly good white cat that some absent-minded artist wiped their dirty watercolor brushes on!

holly said:
Well, they shouldn't shoot the skunks, but I don't want to hear that I.S. or Tsunami have gotten ill from having them around, either. I have to put their welfare first.

"Stubs" says "Hi" to Bun^3.

I saw last night that one of them is nesting under the back porch. Oh boy; that really thrilled Tsu! I do think I can trap instead of shoot so don't worry. No shooting this time. Not only do I hate doing it, there are too many and too close to the house. At this point I am waiting to see where we land. I think most have left the property.

Stubs it is! :smile:

I told Bun 3 but she is too busy eating, pooping, and sleeping; still. :biggrin: She was a very hungry and tired little kitty.

Last edited by a moderator:
"a clowder of cats"

Thats great! I have seen things like this before but this one covers a lot of new terms for me.

Interesting that "pod" has moved from pelicans to whales.

Also I've heard "parliament of rooks" instead of "clamour".

And I won't even bother resisting making some up:

a drowse of sloths
an attachment of remoras
a camouflage of chameleons
an abscess of lampreys
a whistle of whippoorwills
a snorkel of flamingos (not very euphonious but more dignified than a lawn of flamingos)
a puzzle of platypus
a constipation of tapeworms
a siphon of anteaters
an eccentricity of echidnas
a foliage of leafy sea dragons
an usurpation of cuckoos
a disappearance of dodos

a doodle of puppies
a cottonball of kittens
a stink of skunks
a jar of jellyfish
a nerd of physicists :biggrin:

'a perplexity of platypus' would actually be better.

a terrorism of tyrranosauruses

a composition of mathematicians
a measure of analysts
a permutation of combinatoricists
a pencil of geometers
an atlas of differential topologists
an attractor of chaos theorists
an occultation of astronomers
a superposition of quantum theorists
a glueball of high energy physicists
a crystallization of chemists
a metamorphosis of geologists
a saturation of organic chemists
a mosaic of biochemists
an evolution of biologists
a habitat of ecologists
an ossuary of paleontologists

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Here's some useless trivia: a group of skunks is called a surfeit of skunks.
I guess some people would consider 1 skunk a surfeit. :wink:

Plover, I love your lists.

Last edited:
I really liked "a glueball of high energy physicists". I don't know anything about glueballs so I just have a visual of a bunch of people in labcoats all glued together in a big sphere with arms and legs sticking out.

should we be a 'pride of pf'ers' or does that imply that we're full of ourselves?

a mosaic of biochemists? :uhh:

Monique said:
a mosaic of biochemists? :uhh:
how about:
a (fluid) mosaic of cell biologists
a synthesis of biochemists
(or slightly more arcane)
a phosphorylation of biochemists or
a camp (cAMP) of biochemists

also:
a plasmid of bacteriologists
a transcript of geneticists
a vector of virologists
a blind of field biologists
a reef of marine biologists
a pressure of meteorologists
an intrusion of vulcanologists
a table of hydrologists
a prominence of stellar astrophysicists
a sheaf of algebraic topologists
a variety of algebraic geometers
an orbit of algebraists
an expectation of probability theorists
a trial of statisticians (or a deviation of statisticians)
an axiomatization of set theorists
a complement of logicians
a dilemma of game theorists

Sorry.
I'll stop now...
:redface:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I really liked "a glueball of high energy physicists". I don't know anything about glueballs so I just have a visual of a bunch of people in labcoats all glued together in a big sphere with arms and legs sticking out.

Somebody should draw this... :biggrin:

Monique said:
Hum apne pairo mein jaane kitne, bhawar lapete huye khade hai
??
I can't even guess the language...
My first choice for a continent would be Africa though.

Note for future readers:   The quote was Monique's signature at the time of this post.

Felt like having a temporary avatar makeover. Hope you don't mind, Ivan and Tsu.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love it!

Tsunami said:
Actually, I was a little more specific than that. The markings on her face (she was a calico kitty) made her little snout look very much like an anal sphincter :surprise: (being in medicine, I see a LOT of those! :biggrin:). I thought that Shincter Face was just a little bit long and pretentious :tongue2: for such a little kitty, so I shortened it to Butt Face. Well, Ivan had a problem with that name, too. :surprise: So we compromised a bit a came up with the name Bun (Head). :wink: Now we just LIKE the name Bun for a kitty!

Let's see... Our goats were Grunt, Bambi, Spud and Tater... A horse named Wizard, a bunny named One Bunny (from a fairy tale my dad made up for my niece and nephew many years ago - VERY funny :biggrin:). This should go in another thread, shouldn't it? :rolleyes:
Yes, we are twins. :biggrin:

Evo said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love it!
ME, TOO! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tsunami said:
TAG! You're it! :rofl: :rofl:
Is there really a game of tag going on? If so, who's playing? Just this thread? The whole forum?

zoobyshoe said:
Is there really a game of tag going on? If so, who's playing? Just this thread? The whole forum?
Well, DUH! Yeah, there's been a game of tag goin' on for a long time! You've been playing, too! Dontcha remember? (Short-term memory problems, Zoob?)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nah. Just kiddin', Buddy. :wink: I just wrote that because it seemed like Evo (is that who I was talking to? Oops. Looks like it's ME who has the short-term memory problems!) and I were posting simultaneously. :biggrin: It reminded me of Phone Tag.

Tsunami said:
It reminded me of Phone Tag.
How do you play "Phone Tag"?

How is young JimmyP Spraymaster doing?? :tongue2:

I think JimmyP Spraymaster is frolicking happily in the woods. AFAIK, only three are left on the property; including mom.