Help neede in coordinate geometry

In summary, the pairs of lines x^2-2pxy-y^2 and x^2-2qxy-y^2 bisect the angle between each other and have the equations (x^2 - y^2)/2p = xy and (x^2 - y^2)/2q = xy. By comparing these equations, it can be determined that pq = -1. This can also be found using the formula for the angular bisectors of a pair of lines.
metalInferno
Help neede in coordinate geometry!

Homework Statement

here is the question :

If the pairs of lines [tex]x^2-2pxy-y^2[/tex] and [tex]x^2-2qxy-y^2[/tex] are such that each pair bisects the angle between the other pair , then pq equals ...??the answer somehow is -1. i think it uses the concept of homogenisation (if u ppl know what it is . searched the net but found not a single page on it ) . if u know this concept please explain it 2 me and how u come to this answer .
thanx in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It’s difficult to give a brief hint for this. Draw a neat diagram.

Since angular bisectors of a pair of lines are always perpendicular to each other, it’s obvious that both pairs are mutually perpendicular pairs of lines. Name one of the pairs L1, L2 and the other one L3, L4. Let L3 be between L1 and L2 when we are going from L1 to L2 in the CCW direction. So, if we go CCW, it will be L1, L3, L2, L4.

It’s also obvious that the angles between adjacent lines are all 45 deg, i.e., angle between L1 and L3 is 45 deg etc.

If m1 and m2 are the slopes of L1 and L2, then their combined eqn is (y - m1x)(y - m2x) = 0 =>
y^2 – (m1 + m2)xy – m1m2x^2 =0.
Comparing this with the first of the eqns given, we get that, 2p = -(m1 + m2).
Similarly, 2q = -(m3 + m4).

Let’s also remember that if the angle between L1 and L3 is positive 45 deg in the CCW sense, then tan 45 = (m3 – m1)/(1 + m1m3) => m1m3 = m3 – m1 -1. There will be four eqns like this.

2p*2q = (m1 + m2)(m3 + m4). Expand this and you’ll get four terms like m2m3. Write that as m3 – m1 -1. All the terms will cancel out except (-1)*4 => pq = -1.

(Why are math questions being posted in the Physics page? Is it because the posters find the Physics page more interesting?)

Faster mehtod

I think this solution will appeal more to you. Actually, I just remembered the formulae for these things. This one’s fast and probably the one you should use during tests. (And it uses homogenization too…:cool:)

The eqn of the angular bisectors of the pair of lines ax^2 + 2hxy + by^2 = 0 is given by the eqn
(x^2 – y^2)/(a – b) = xy/h.

Comparing the two given eqns, and knowing that each set are the bisectors of the others, the answer is immediately arrived at.

What is coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric shapes in a coordinate plane. It involves the use of coordinates, or points on a grid, to represent the location of objects and to analyze their properties.

How can I use coordinate geometry to solve problems?

Coordinate geometry can be used to solve problems involving distance, slope, and finding missing coordinates. It can also be used to graph equations and analyze the relationships between geometric shapes.

What are some common formulas used in coordinate geometry?

Some common formulas used in coordinate geometry include the distance formula, slope formula, midpoint formula, and equations of lines and circles.

What are the different types of coordinates used in coordinate geometry?

The two main types of coordinates used in coordinate geometry are Cartesian coordinates, which use an x-axis and y-axis, and polar coordinates, which use a radius and angle to represent a point. Other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates, may also be used in certain situations.

What are some real-life applications of coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry has many real-life applications, including in engineering, architecture, navigation, and physics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create 2D and 3D images.