1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral with spherical coordinates

Tags:
  1. May 30, 2017 #1

Cyn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question.

I have a function f(x,y,z) which is a continuous positive function in D = {(x,y,z); x^2 + y^2 +z^2<=1}. And let r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2). I have to check whether the following jntegral is convergent.

x^2y^2z^2/r^(17/2) * f(x,y,z)dV.

2. Relevant equations

Sphericak coordinates
    x = rsin(a)cos(b)
    y = rsin(a)sin(b)
    z = rcos(a)

3. The attempt at a solution

Because you know that f continuous and positive is can you say that the integral of f is between m and M. But now, I have to know what the other integral is. I have to use sphericak coordinates.
    x = rsin(a)cos(b)
    y = rsin(a)sin(b)
    z = rcos(a)

The determinant is r^2sin(a). But if I calculate this with the standard boundaries:
    r between 0 and R (R=1)
    a between 0 and pi
    b between -pi and pi

And if I take r between 1/m and 1 and let the limit m-->infinity, then I find that the integral is 8/105 pi. But the answer is 16/105 pi.
    Have I do something wrong or have I need to use different boundaries?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your actual work; it looks like you might have made a simple error, but we cannot tell without seeing what you did. Also: you need to tell us what is the formula for the function f(x,y,z).

When you show your work, please do NOT post an image of handwritten material; take the time to type it out. (Note, for example, that you can type ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx## as int_{x=a..b} f(x) dx in plain text, so it should not be too bad.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted