1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help needed for Fourier analysis of a triangular wave

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fourie analysis for a boost converter
    Where d = duty cycle, A = amplitude and t = time
    2. Relevant equations

Fx = (2At/d) for 0<t<d/2, -A+(2A/(1-d))*(1-t-d/2) for d/2<t<(1-d/2); (2A/d)*(t-1) for 1-d/2 <t<1.
    Where d = duty cycle, A = amplitude and t = time
    3. The attempt at a solution

My solution is kind off large, I need need another solution to compare my ans with before writing a script to execute this function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I recast your problem slightly and got a pretty compact answer. Instead of working with the interval [0,1], I used the interval [-π,π], took advantage of the fact it is an odd function, and got

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2A\sin{n\pi d}}{d(1-d)n^2\pi^2}\sin nt[/tex]

Your d might be my 1-d and vice versa, and you can rescale t by a factor of 2π to get back to your original function.

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    Thank you Vela, currently trying to model the equation in matlab or maple 13, hopefully I will. Cheers

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    Please find attached the wave form I am trying to analyze. I was actually able to simulate the equation given by Vela but the output was symmetrical around zero while my original wave form as shown in the attachment was not symmetrical around zero.
    I feel there should be a dc component in order to achieve this waveform consequently an odd function might not be assumed. Please note I have no proof of this.

A is the peak amplitude and 2A could be taken as peak to peak value (A-(-A)), which is equal to 3 in the attached waveform though I will prefer non usage of real value for 'A' because the value of 'A' changes with a change in other parameters e.g. d.

I will appreciate all assistance and suggestion. Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. Jun 24, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm assuming the function you gave in your original post is the correct one as the one expressed on the spreadsheet has apparent mistakes in the intervals for t.

I've attached a plot of your original function and the series I found (10 terms and with t appropriately rescaled). I used A=1 and d=1/4 for this particular plot. They look the same to me.

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook