Circuit Analysis-Converting a square wave to a sine wave

In summary: That is, the circuit is designed so that the output voltage is sinewave with an amplitude that is proportional to the input voltage, irrespective of the values of the resistors and capacitors.Thus, the circuit can be considered to be a lowpass filter.
Forcefedglas

Homework Statement

For an upcoming lab I've been asked to build a circuit to convert a square wave (vi(t))e into a sine wave (v0(t)) by selecting appropriate resistor/capacitor values for the circuit below (from what I know, it's impossible to produce an accurate sine wave with just this, I assume that I just have to do the best I can). Searching around online has only given me some qualitative explanations so I'm looking for a circuit analysis based explanation on how this is supposed to work.
24x2geg.png

$$v_i(t)= (-1)^n), nT_0<t\leq(n+1)T_0, n=...-2,-1,0,1,2..., T_0=\frac{1}{100}secs$$

Homework Equations

$$a_0=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}f(t)dt$$
$$a_n=\frac{2}{T}\int_{0}^{T}cos(nw_0t)f(t)dt$$
$$b_n=\frac{2}{T}\int_{0}^{T}sin(nw_0t)f(t)dt$$
$$V=IZ$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by calculating the Fourier series, which I believe works out to be $$-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{8}{(2k-1)\pi}sin(\pi (2k-1)t)$$

Then I attempted to get an equation for v0(t) in terms of vi(t). Simplifying the resistor and capacitor in parallel then applying voltage division gave:

$$v_0(t)=\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2+jR_1R_2\pi nC}v_i(t)$$

May have made a mistake in there somewhere but either way from this point on I don't have a clue on how to proceed, I thought about making the denominator real but I'm not seeing how that would help. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Forcefedglas. :welcome:

You can look at it as a low-pass filter, and locate its "cut-off" where you wish.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Forcefedglas. :welcome:

You can look at it as a low-pass filter, and locate its "cut-off" where you wish.

Haven't learned about low pass filters yet but I'll go read up on it now. What do you mean by cut-off?

EDIT: Ah I see it's to do with resonance which we get to in a few weeks...My course was recently restructured to teach Fourier series at the start instead of at the end but I guess the lab questions didn't change

Cut-off is the frequency at which the filter starts to cause significant attenuation.

Forcefedglas said:

Homework Statement

For an upcoming lab I've been asked to build a circuit to convert a square wave (vi(t))e into a sine wave (v0(t)) by selecting appropriate resistor/capacitor values for the circuit below (from what I know, it's impossible to produce an accurate sine wave with just this, I assume that I just have to do the best I can).
You are right. With this simple first-order lowpass it is not possible to convert squarewave into a sinewave.
Your goal should be to attenuate the 3rd harmonic as much as possible (the 2nd harmonic does not exist in a poor squarewave) without attenuation the first harmonic too much. That means: The "cut-off frequency" must be located somewhere between the first and the third harmonic.
This cut-off frequency ωo=2πfo is the inverse of the time constant of the circuit.

Just as a FYI.
In practice, three cascaded stages are 'generally assumed' to be sufficient.

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves analyzing the components and connections within a circuit to determine how it will respond to various inputs and conditions.

What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of electrical signal that alternates between two fixed voltage levels, typically high and low. It has a distinct square-shaped waveform and is commonly used in digital circuits.

What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a type of electrical signal that varies smoothly and continuously between two voltage levels. It has a distinct curved waveform and is commonly used in analog circuits.

Why would you want to convert a square wave to a sine wave?

Converting a square wave to a sine wave can be useful in certain applications where a smoother and more continuous signal is needed. This can improve the performance and accuracy of electronic devices that rely on sine waves, such as audio equipment and power supplies.

How can you convert a square wave to a sine wave?

There are various methods for converting a square wave to a sine wave, including using filters, oscillator circuits, and digital signal processing techniques. The specific approach will depend on the circuit and the desired outcome.