1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Analysis-Converting a square wave to a sine wave

1. Mar 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For an upcoming lab I've been asked to build a circuit to convert a square wave (vi(t))e into a sine wave (v0(t)) by selecting appropriate resistor/capacitor values for the circuit below (from what I know, it's impossible to produce an accurate sine wave with just this, I assume that I just have to do the best I can). Searching around online has only given me some qualitative explanations so I'm looking for a circuit analysis based explanation on how this is supposed to work.
    24x2geg.png
    $$v_i(t)= (-1)^n), nT_0<t\leq(n+1)T_0, n=...-2,-1,0,1,2..., T_0=\frac{1}{100}secs$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$a_0=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}f(t)dt$$
    $$a_n=\frac{2}{T}\int_{0}^{T}cos(nw_0t)f(t)dt$$
    $$b_n=\frac{2}{T}\int_{0}^{T}sin(nw_0t)f(t)dt$$
    $$V=IZ$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by calculating the fourier series, which I believe works out to be $$-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{8}{(2k-1)\pi}sin(\pi (2k-1)t)$$

Then I attempted to get an equation for v0(t) in terms of vi(t). Simplifying the resistor and capacitor in parallel then applying voltage division gave:

$$v_0(t)=\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2+jR_1R_2\pi nC}v_i(t)$$

May have made a mistake in there somewhere but either way from this point on I don't have a clue on how to proceed, I thought about making the denominator real but I'm not seeing how that would help. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Forcefedglas. :welcome:

You can look at it as a low-pass filter, and locate its "cut-off" where you wish.

4. Mar 16, 2016 #3
    Haven't learnt about low pass filters yet but I'll go read up on it now. What do you mean by cut-off?

EDIT: Ah I see it's to do with resonance which we get to in a few weeks...My course was recently restructured to teach fourier series at the start instead of at the end but I guess the lab questions didn't change

5. Mar 16, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Cut-off is the frequency at which the filter starts to cause significant attenuation.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #5

LvW

You are right. With this simple first-order lowpass it is not possible to convert squarewave into a sinewave.
    Your goal should be to attenuate the 3rd harmonic as much as possible (the 2nd harmonic does not exist in a poor squarewave) without attenuation the first harmonic too much. That means: The "cut-off frequency" must be located somewhere between the first and the third harmonic.
    This cut-off frequency ωo=2πfo is the inverse of the time constant of the circuit.

7. Mar 18, 2016 #6
    Just as a FYI.
    In practice, three cascaded stages are 'generally assumed' to be sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted