1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed - Newtons first law - particles in equilibrium

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    For some odd reason, i'm having no problems with the rest of the exercises, though this one is really annoying as i just can't seem to get it right.

Here's a picture of the exercise

h t t p://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?4bc2e12442.jpg
    Could someone please give me a detailed description on how to solve it ?

I've used m=w/g to find the weight of the person (882.9 N )
    But when i try to use sin and cos with the angle, i don't get the right result
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you show us what you have done?

What angles did you use in the sin and/or cos functions?

Please provide us with more information about what you have done.
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    I tried dividing it up in two sets, where the rope to the left was A and the rope to the right was B

Since it's in equilibrium, the sum of forces in the x direction (Fx) is 0, Fy is also 0

Since Fx=0 : B * sin 10 + (-A)
    Since Fy=0 : B * cos 10 + (-w)

I then used the second one to find the tension from part B, but i'm not allowed to sum them together (?), so i don't really know what to do.

Basicly, i haven't got a clue right now
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi Hemmelig,

Newton's law in the x-direction, for the case of no acceleration in the x-direction is [itex]\sum F_x =0[/itex]. Writing this out for the case of your three forces, A, B, and w gives:

A_x+ B_x + w_x =0

Your got that w_x=0 (so the weight force does not appear in the x direction equation); however, it appears that you did not get the right x-components for A and B.

In the y direction, the same thing is happening. Your y-component for the weight is okay ([itex]w_y=-w[/itex]) but the y-components for A and B are incorrect.
  6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    hmm, what are the right components for x and y then ?
  7. Apr 17, 2008 #6
    I got the right result (well, in a way)

If i call the rope C

C * sin 10 + (-w)

w/sin10 = C

But for some reason, the answer i get is exactly twise the correct result

Am i doing it right and i'm just supposed to divide the answer with two ?
  8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

For the part of the rope pulling to the right (force B), it is pulling both upwards and to the right. It's x-component is the horizontal component of the force and if you draw a triangle for the components of B you can see that the horizontal component is adjacent to the angle.

So, for example, [itex]B_x = +B \cos\theta[/itex]. If you find [itex]B_y, A_x, A_y[/itex] you can then find the tension.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  9. Apr 17, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

If you solve the equation for forces in the x-direction and plug it into the force equation for the y direction, you'll get the above formula except with a factor of 2.

Solving the x-direction equation will also tell you something important about the tension along ropes in these problems that will show you why the above equation is so close.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?