Help Needed: Self-Studying for A Level Mechanics 2 Exam

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a mechanics problem for their A Level exam. The problem involves finding the sum of the moments of forces about a given point. The student provides their attempt at a solution and asks for help in finding their mistake. The conversation also includes discussions about the force applied at point C and the book's answer. In the end, the student's calculation is confirmed to be correct and they are wished luck for their exam.
slakedlime
Hi :)
I’m self-studying for my A Level mechanics 2 exam (it’s in 4 days :S) and there’s a problem in my book that I just can’t solve. Any help would be really appreciated. :)

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the moments about the point P of the forces shown in the diagram:

diagrammechanics.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment about a point = Force x Perpendicular distance of the force from the point

The Attempt at a Solution

From the way the problem diagram is shown in my book, it seems as though APB is a rigid triangular frame.

Since we’re finding the sum of the moments about the point P, we won’t be considering the green 2N force and the blue 1N force because they both act along P. We won’t be considering the 5N force either because it doesn’t have any effect on the moments about P.

Moment of the blue 2N force about P
= 2N x PB
= 2N x 5m
= 10 Nm anticlockwise

Applying the sine rule:
(AP / sin 18 degrees) = (PB / sin 40 degrees)
Or, AP = sin 18 degrees x (5m / sin 40 degrees)
Hence, AP = 2.4037m

Moment of the 3N force about P
= 3N x 2.4037m
= 7.2111 Nm clockwise

Hence, moments about P
= 10 Nm – 7.2111Nm
= 2.7889Nm anticlockwise
= 2.79 Nm anticlockwise

My book’s answer is 2.07 Nm anticlockwise. Could someone please tell me where I’m going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

What about the force being applied at point C?

Americanforest, how does the force being applied at point C have an effect on P? The diagram is confusing me quite a bit. The fact that the triangle is a wire frame just confuses me further -- which forces act on P and which don't?. I'm not very good at mechanics, and I'm self-studying too, so some of the really self-explanatory things don't make sense to me. My book's not very useful at explaining things either :( If you could explain this problem, it'd be really helpful :)

Torque [tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex] so that [tex]\left| \tau \right|=rFsin(\theta)[/tex] where theta is the angle between the force and the vector which goes from, in our case, P, to the point at which the force is applied. This torque is not zero for the force applied at point C.

Americanforest, based on the info you've given me, I've made some additions to my diagram. So will I now be taking the moment of the pink force (vertical component of the blue 5N force) about the point P?

moments2.gif

Pink force = 5N x sin 3.137 degrees

Moment
= CP x (5N x sin 3.137 degrees)
= 0.528 Nm anticlockwise

However, this just takes my answer further away from the book's answer of 2.07Nm anticlockwise.

Sum of anticlockwise moments
= 10 Nm + 0.528Nm
= 10.528 Nm

Sum of clockwise moments
= 3N x 2.4037m
= 7.2111 Nm

Overall sum of moments about P
= 3.3169 Nm
= 3.31 Nm anticlockwise

Where am I going wrong?

My exam's in a day. Can someone please help?

Well, assuming your geometry is correct , your method now looks OK. I didn't check your geometry and trig too closely, so I can't be sure of the numbers, but it looks OK; it appears that the book answer may be wrong, based on your given values. Nevertheless, the concept is to sum moments of all forces about the given point, watching cw and ccw signs, using the fact that the moment of a force is force times perpendicular distance, or rFsin theta if you wish. You calculated the Moment of the force at C about P as 5(sin 3.14)(CP), ccw, or you could have done it as 5(XP), ccw, and achieve the same result.

slakedlime said:
Hi :)
I’m self-studying for my A Level mechanics 2 exam (it’s in 4 days :S) and there’s a problem in my book that I just can’t solve. Any help would be really appreciated. :)

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the moments about the point P of the forces shown in the diagram:

diagrammechanics.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment about a point = Force x Perpendicular distance of the force from the point

The Attempt at a Solution

From the way the problem diagram is shown in my book, it seems as though APB is a rigid triangular frame.

Since we’re finding the sum of the moments about the point P, we won’t be considering the green 2N force and the blue 1N force because they both act along P. We won’t be considering the 5N force either because it doesn’t have any effect on the moments about P.

Moment of the blue 2N force about P
= 2N x PB
= 2N x 5m
= 10 Nm anticlockwise

Applying the sine rule:
(AP / sin 18 degrees) = (PB / sin 40 degrees)
Or, AP = sin 18 degrees x (5m / sin 40 degrees)
Hence, AP = 2.4037m

Moment of the 3N force about P
= 3N x 2.4037m
= 7.2111 Nm clockwise

Hence, moments about P
= 10 Nm – 7.2111Nm
= 2.7889Nm anticlockwise
= 2.79 Nm anticlockwise

My book’s answer is 2.07 Nm anticlockwise. Could someone please tell me where I’m going wrong?

You need to consider point C force. Calculte this one.
10+5(2.4037-3cos40-5cos58)-7.211

Inky, that gives me -9.9311, which is even further off from the book's answer :(

Jay, I hope you're right :)

Thank-you everyone for trying to help :)

I checked your math and trig and I agree with your answer of 3.3 N-m anti-clockwise. Good luck with the exam.

1. What is the best way to prepare for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam?

The best way to prepare for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam is to start early and create a study schedule. Make sure to review all the key concepts and practice problems regularly. It is also helpful to go through past papers and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and practice solving a variety of problems. You can also try breaking down the problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use different methods to approach them. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources to supplement your learning.

3. Are there any specific topics or areas that I should focus on for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam?

It is important to have a strong understanding of all the topics in A Level Mechanics 2. However, some key areas to focus on include vector mechanics, kinematics, and Newton's laws of motion. Make sure to also review any topics that you struggle with or have difficulty understanding.

4. How can I manage my time effectively during the A Level Mechanics 2 exam?

To manage your time effectively during the exam, make sure to read the instructions carefully and plan out your approach for each question. Start with the questions you feel most confident about and allocate your time accordingly. Don't spend too much time on one question and make sure to leave enough time to review your answers.

5. Are there any online resources or study materials that can help me prepare for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam?

Yes, there are many online resources and study materials available to help you prepare for the A Level Mechanics 2 exam. Some helpful resources include past papers, textbooks, online video tutorials, and practice problems. You can also join online study groups or forums to discuss any questions or concerns with other students.