Help needed to solve a differential equation

In summary, you are trying to solve an inhomogeneous differential equation for u with boundary conditions u=0 on r=a and u_r=0 on r=0. You lost a sign and another is that you took the exponential incorrectly. You are trying to find a solution to the entire equation using variation of parameters.
lavster

Homework Statement

solve for u:

[tex]u_t=G + \mu(u_{rr}+\frac{1}{r}u_r)[/tex]

with boundary conditions u=0 on r=a and [tex]u_r=0[/tex] on r=0

where G is a constant, u is a function of r only and u_r is the derivative of u with respect to r etc

Homework Equations

the solution is:

[tex]\frac{G_0 a^2}{4\mu}(1-\frac{r^2}{a^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

u is independent of t so [tex]u_t=0[/tex].
it is an inhomogeneous differential equation so i thought youd solve [tex](u_rr+\frac{1}{r}u_r)=0[/tex] first.
I then thought ud let [tex]p=u_r[/tex] to get [tex]p_r+\frac{1}{r}p[/tex] and then use separation of variables integral thing to get p = r+c where c is a constant. (initially i got logs but i took the exponential).
then i converted back to u : [tex]u_r=r+c[/tex] to get [tex]u=\frac{r^2}{2}+rc+d[/tex]. This looks wrong and i have no idea how to introduce the \frac{G}{/mu} term.
any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of your difficulty is that you lost a sign and another is that you took the exponential incorrectly. Yes, the differential equation reduces to the first order equation p'+ p/r= 0 or p'= -p/r, so that dp/p= -dr/r and, integrating, ln(p)= -ln(r)+ C. But taking the exponential gives [itex]p(r)= cr^{-1}= c/r[/itex], where c= [itex]e^C[/itex], not r+ c.

Then u'= c/r so [itex]u''= cln(r)+ d[/itex]. That is essentially saying that two independent solutions to the equation are ln(r) and 1.

To find a solution to the entire equation, use "variation of parameters". Look for a solution of the form [itex]u(r)= v(r)ln(r)+ w(r)[/itex] for two unknown function v(r) and w(r).

Differentiating, [itex]u'= v'ln(r)+ v/r + w'[/itex]. There are, in fact, many solutions of that form, and we need only one, so to simplify the problem we will look only for solutions such that [itex]v'ln(r)+ w'= 0[/itex]. That means that [itex]u'= v/r[/itex] and so [itex]u''= v'/r- v/r^2[/itex]. Putting those into the original euation,
[tex]u''+ (1/r)u'= v'/r- v/r^2+ (1/r)(v/r)= v'/r= -G[/tex]

So v'= -Gr and [itex]v(x)= -(1/2)Gr^2[/itex]. From v'ln(r)+ w'= 0 and v'= -Gr, we have w'= Grln(r). That can be integrated by parts: let u= ln(r) and dv= r dr so that du= (1/r)dr and v= (1/2)r^2.

The terms involving ln(r) will turn out to have coefficient 0 in order that u(0) exist.

Thanks!

HallsofIvy said:
There are, in fact, many solutions of that form, and we need only one, so to simplify the problem we will look only for solutions such that [itex]v'ln(r)+ w'= 0[/itex].

how do you know this if you don't know the solution already?

ive got [tex]v=-\frac{1}{2}Gr^2+d[/tex] and [tex]w=Inr\frac{1}{2}r^2-\frac{Gr^2}{4}+f[/tex]

giving [tex]u=-(\frac{1}{2}Gr^2+d) ln r +GInr\frac{1}{2}r^2-\frac{Gr^2}{4}+f[/tex]

from the u(0) bc d=0 and from the (the other two In cancels) from the u_r(a) bc the f vanishes and so i do not know how to proceed. Also i think i have a sign error perhaps...

also when I am doing the integration by parts should i be leaving it as indefinite integrals or doing it between 0 and a?
thanks

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives.

Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting how systems change over time.

What are the different types of differential equations?

The different types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations, which involve one independent variable, and partial differential equations, which involve multiple independent variables. They can also be classified as linear or nonlinear, depending on the form of the equation.

How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta method can also be used for solving differential equations.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in everyday life, including modeling population growth, determining the movement of objects in physics, analyzing the spread of diseases in epidemiology, and optimizing financial investments in economics. They are also used in engineering for designing and analyzing systems such as electrical circuits, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.