Help on Frequency Distribution - disagreement with professor

In summary, the conversation is about a disagreement between a student and their professor on the calculation of the number of employees absent between 3 and 6 days based on a frequency distribution chart. The student believes the answer is 17, while the professor believes it is 31. The confusion lies in the labeling of columns as "cumulative number of employees" instead of just "number of employees." The student suggests that the categories should be non-overlapping and that the first category is 0 days or more, but less than 3 days. The student plans to speak with the professor for clarification.
Tami
Help on "Frequency Distribution" - disagreement with professor...

Homework Statement

Refer to the following frequency distribution on days absent during a calendar year by employees of a manufacturing
company:
Days Absent Cumulative Number of Employees
0 up to 3 60
3 up to 6 31
6 up to 9 14
9 up to 12 6
12 up to 15 2

How many employees were absent between 3 up to 6 days?

Homework Statement

I am disagreement with my professor (I think... he won't email me back, I guess he's ingoring me) on the answer.

Homework Equations

I believe the answer is 17. He said the answer is 31. I would agree if it didn't say CUMULATIVE at the top. I got an answer wrong on a quiz because I didn't notice it said cumulative at the top. So, it can't be both ways.

The Attempt at a Solution

If it just said "number of employees", I would say 31. But it says cumulative and cumulative, you add each frequency together. Looking at this distribution chart, there are a total of 60 students.

Physics news on Phys.org

The chart, as shown, raises more questions than it answers.

Can there be fractional parts of days missed?

Does "0 up to 3" mean 0 <= # days missed < 3, where the number of days missed can be fractions of days? If the number of days missed can't be fractional, then the categories overlap, so an employee who misses 3 days would be counted twice.

What does "cumulative number of employees" mean?

How did you get 17 for your answer?

For the table to have any real meaning, the categories have to be non-overlapping, so that if you know how many days an employee missed, there would be no question as to which category the employee would be placed in. This leads me to believe that the first category is 0 days or more, but less than 3 days. The second category would be 3 days or more, but less than 6, and so on. Assuming this is what the categories are, and that the question is "how many employees missed 3 or more days, but less than 6?" the answer would be 31.

My reading of the table is that there are 113 employees in the company, assuming that no employees missed 15 or more days.

We worked on setting up frequency distributions. They started like this:

Days Absent Number of employees cumulative number of employees
0 up to 3 29 60
3 up to 6 17 31
6 up to 9 8 14
0 up to 12 4 6
12 up to 15 2 2

3 would only be counted in the 3 up to 6 class. I got 17 because that is the difference in 31 and 14 because the column is marked cumulative. however, normally, the cumulative frequency would go the other way (like the cumulative would start with 29 and the next would be 46 - it would add down not up). So that is why is partly confusing. If you could just look at the distribution chart and pick the number of employees in 3 up to 6, a second grader could do that. It was marked cumulative and that is my only argument. In order for the answer to be 31, the column should be marked number of employees, not cumulative number of employees.

I think you are confusing frequence and cumulative frequency with number of employees. As I understand this problem, it should NOT say "cumulative number of employees." It doesn't make any sense to accumulate employees who are in distinct classes. If the classes overlapped as below, then it would make sense to accumulate them.
0 <= days < 3
0 <= days < 6
0 <= days < 9
etc.

In your problem, the frequencies and cum. frequencies are as in this table:
Absences (days)..No. employees...Freq...Cum. frequency
0 up to 3 ...60......60/113...60/113
3 up to 6 ...31......31/113...91/113
6 up to 9 ...14......14/113...105/113
9 up to 12 ...6.....6/113...111/113
12 up to 15 ...2.....2/113...113/113

It seems the faculty member used "Cumulative number of employees" to mean frequency for each class.

I agree with the two previous posts 100%. So, what do you think should happen? The columns were labeled "Number of Days Absent" and "Cumulative Number of Employees". The only reason I subtracted to get the total number of the specific class, was because it was marked Cumulative. If it is just frequency, how easy is it to just look at the chart and pick the total. He has the difficulty level as hard.

Your next step should probably be to go talk with your professor. He/she is the only person who can clarify what is meant by this problem.

1. What is a frequency distribution?

A frequency distribution is a table or graph that shows the number of times a particular value or range of values occurs in a dataset. It is used to summarize and organize data to easily identify patterns and trends.

2. How do I create a frequency distribution?

To create a frequency distribution, you first need to determine the range of values in your dataset. Then, divide the range into equal intervals called classes. Next, count the number of data points that fall into each class and record it in a table or graph.

3. What is the purpose of a frequency distribution?

The purpose of a frequency distribution is to summarize and organize data to make it easier to interpret and understand. It allows us to identify the most common values, the spread of the data, and any outliers or unusual patterns.

4. What should I do if there is a disagreement with my professor on the frequency distribution?

If there is a disagreement with your professor on the frequency distribution, it is important to communicate and discuss your reasoning and methods. Be open to feedback and be willing to make adjustments if necessary. It is also helpful to consult with other classmates or seek guidance from a mentor or tutor.

5. Are there any limitations to using frequency distributions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using frequency distributions. It may not be suitable for all types of data, such as continuous data, and it may not accurately represent the entire population if the sample size is too small. It is also important to consider the choice of class intervals, as it can affect the interpretation of the data.