Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on the proof related to the vectorial wave equation

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    Dear forum users,

I need some help on the following proof that appears in a book (pp. 84 in Bohren' Absorption and Scattering of light by Small Particles). This is no a home work problem.

The problem statement:

[itex]\vec{M} = \nabla\times\vec{c}\psi[/itex], where [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] is some constant vector and [itex]\psi[/itex] is a scalar function, then if [itex]-\nabla\times\nabla\times\vec{M}+k^2\vec{M}=0[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is the wave number, then prove that [itex]\nabla^2 \psi + k^2\psi=0[/itex].

I could prove for the cases by using a curve-linear coordinate system, etc. rectangular, cylindrical, etc. I am seeking a general proof. I suspect that there is some vectorial identity applicable here.

Thank you for the attention.

Elgen

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

What happens if you use ## \nabla \times c \psi = c \nabla \times \psi +\nabla c \times \psi ## and ## \nabla \times \nabla \times A = \nabla (\nabla \cdot A) - \nabla^2 A##?

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The (Cartesian) Ricci Calculus is your friend here. But isn't this more homework like? So I'd say, this thread should be moved to the homework section of these forums!

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4
    Worked it out. Thank you for the pointer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook