Don't understand proof of Bloch theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the periodic potential inside a crystal and the Hamiltonian for an electron in the crystal. It also introduces a translation operator and proves that it commutes with the Hamiltonian. The conversation then explores the properties of the translation operator and its relationship with lattice vectors. Finally, there is a discussion about the notation used for lattice vectors and the dot product notation used in the Wikipedia page.
etotheipi
The potential inside the crystal is periodic ##U(\vec{r} + \vec{R}) = U(\vec{r})## for lattice vectors ##\vec{R} = n_i \vec{a}_i##, ##n_i \in \mathbb{Z}## (where the ##\vec{a}_i## are the crystal basis), and Hamiltonian for an electron in the crystal is ##\hat{H} = \left( -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 + U(\vec{r}) \right)##. The book defined a translation operator ##T_{\vec{R}}##, and proved that ##T_{\vec{R}}## and ##\hat{H}## are commuting operators, so have simultaneous eigenstates,$$\hat{H} \psi = E\psi, \quad T_{\vec{R}} \psi = c(\vec{R}) \psi$$They also prove that ##c(\vec{R} + \vec{R}') = c(\vec{R})c(\vec{R}')## for two lattice vectors ##\vec{R}## and ##\vec{R}'##. But I don't understand the next bit, which says ##c(\vec{a}_i)## can always be written in the form$$c(\vec{a}_i) = e^{2\pi i x_i}$$for some ##x_i##. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, why can we do this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
##T_{\vec{R}}\psi(\vec{x}) = \psi(\vec{x}-\vec{R})## by definition, so the statement ##T_{\vec{R}}\psi(\vec{x}) = c(\vec{R})\psi(\vec{x})## implies that ##|c(\vec{R})|^2 = 1## to preserve normalization of ##\psi(\vec{x}-\vec{R})##. That means it has to lie on the complex unit circle.

Likes etotheipi
Ah, yeah that makes sense, thanks! My book defines the translation operator as ##T_{\vec{R}}(\vec{x}) = \vec{x} + \vec{R}##, but that doesn't make any difference to the logic. So you'd say$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} d^3 \vec{x} \lVert c(\vec{R}) \psi(\vec{x})\rVert^2= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} d^3 \vec{x} \lVert \psi(\vec{x} + \vec{R}) \rVert^2 = 1 \implies \lVert c(\vec{R}) \rVert = 1 \implies c(\vec{R}) = e^{2\pi i x_i}$$And we can set ##n_i = 1, n_j = 0 \, (\forall j \neq i)##, i.e. ##\vec{R} = \vec{a}_i##, so also holds for ##\vec{a}_i## (for some ##x_i##). Thanks!

Likes Twigg
Also, when I was reading the Wikipedia page here, I notice they write$$\vec{n} \cdot \vec{a} = n_1 \vec{a}_1 + n_2 \vec{a}_2 + n_3 \vec{a}_3\quad (=\vec{R})$$What is the "##\cdot##" operation here, and what are ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{n}##? It can't be the scalar product, since the result is a vector! `Perhaps this is a mistake?

I'm no crystallographer, but my guess is that they made a knock-off "dot product" to shorten the notation and look like a cool kid. There's a "dot product" like this for the Pauli matrices too. In a crystal with low symmetry, a1,a2,a3 need not be orthogonal (like in a triclinic? I'm not sure on the nomenclature don't quote me), so really this "dot product" is pure notation.

Like with the Pauli matrix "dot product", ##\vec{a}## here is just a "vector" whose "elements" are the vectors ##\vec{a_1}##,##\vec{a_2}##,##\vec{a_3}##. ##\vec{n}## is just a vector of integers here.

Likes etotheipi
Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I think they've done something along the lines of defining a tuple ##\vec{n} = (n_1, n_2, n_3)## and another tuple ##\vec{a} = (\vec{a}_1, \vec{a}_2, \vec{a}_3)##, and also defining the "##\cdot##" operation to be the sum of the pairwise products, ##\vec{n} \cdot \vec{a} = n_1 \vec{a}_1 + n_2 \vec{a}_2 + n_3 \vec{a}_3##. So it's likely there for notational convenience, like you say, and not at all related to an actual inner product or anything.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Bloch theorem?

The Bloch theorem is a fundamental principle in the study of solid state physics. It states that the wave function of an electron in a periodic potential can be written as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function. This allows for the description of electronic states in a crystal lattice.

2. Why is the proof of Bloch theorem difficult to understand?

The proof of Bloch theorem involves complex mathematical concepts such as Fourier transforms and group theory. It also requires a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and solid state physics. As such, it can be challenging for those without a strong background in these areas.

3. How does the Bloch theorem relate to band structure?

The Bloch theorem is essential in understanding the band structure of solids. It explains how the energy levels of electrons in a crystal lattice are organized into bands, and how the periodicity of the lattice affects these bands. This is crucial in understanding the electrical and optical properties of materials.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Bloch theorem?

Yes, the Bloch theorem has many practical applications in the fields of materials science and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of materials in electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells. It is also used in the development of new materials with specific properties.

5. Is the Bloch theorem still relevant in modern research?

Absolutely. The Bloch theorem is a fundamental concept in solid state physics and is still heavily used in current research. It has been extended and modified to apply to more complex systems, such as disordered materials, and is continually being used to understand and develop new materials with unique properties.