Help please, need advice on what to study to understand

In summary, the paper discusses Eberlein's calculations on sonoluminescence as quantum vacuum radiation. The theory used in the paper is based on her previous publication and requires a good understanding of Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Optics. The calculations are done in the Hamiltonian formalism and are governed by the transition matrix element of the radiation pressure. A good starting point for understanding the paper would be studying Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics and Loudon's The Quantum Theory of Light.
rwooduk
the calculations given in a specific paper.

I'm attempting to understand Eberleins calculations in her paper "sonoluminescence as quantum vacuum radiation".

Would someone who is familiar with quantum mechanics have a quick look at the paper and tell me a good place to start?

Ive only done Quantum Mechanics 1 at Uni and I'm a little lost.

Or if someone could explain these terms from her abstract:

"... is calculated in the Hamilton formalism" ---- what is the Hamilton formalism?

"... governed by the transition matrix element of the radiation pressure." ---- what is a transition matrix element? and how can it relate to a physical quantity such as radiation pressure?Any input at this point would really be appreciated,

thanks

Paper:

http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.3842

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
I'm attempting to understand Eberleins calculations in her paper "sonoluminescence as quantum vacuum radiation".

Would someone who is familiar with quantum mechanics have a quick look at the paper and tell me a good place to start?
The theory used in the PRL comes from a previous publication of hers: http://journals.aps.org/pra/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevA.53.2772

You have to start there if you want to understand anything from the PRL (there is too little information in it, as with most letters).

As for the level of QM, it looks like advanced undergraduate, and a book such as Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics should suffice. The bigger challenge is that you have to have a very good knowledge of Quantum Optics also. The classic textbook is Loudon's The Quantum Theory of Light, but I also like the book by Fox.

rwooduk said:
"... is calculated in the Hamilton formalism" ---- what is the Hamilton formalism?
You misquoted that, it's "Hamiltonian," and you should already know what that is :smile:

rwooduk said:
"... governed by the transition matrix element of the radiation pressure." ---- what is a transition matrix element? and how can it relate to a physical quantity such as radiation pressure?
As I said: Quantum Optics!

1. What subjects should I study to better understand science?

To understand science, it is important to have a strong foundation in the core subjects of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. These subjects will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and apply scientific concepts.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in relation to science?

To improve your critical thinking skills in science, it is important to regularly practice questioning, analyzing, and evaluating information. Additionally, actively engaging in hands-on experiments and discussions with peers can also help develop critical thinking skills.

3. What resources can I use to deepen my understanding of science?

There are many resources available to help you deepen your understanding of science. These include textbooks, scientific journals, online courses, and educational videos. Additionally, attending lectures, workshops, and conferences can also provide valuable insights and information.

4. How can I apply what I have learned in science to real-world situations?

To apply your scientific knowledge to real-world situations, it is important to understand the practical applications of the concepts you have learned. This can be done through hands-on experiments, case studies, and internships or job opportunities in your field of interest.

5. Are there any specific study techniques that can help me better understand science?

Some effective study techniques for understanding science include creating concept maps, summarizing information, practicing active recall, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to regularly review and reinforce your understanding of key concepts.