Potential energy of a proton at the midpoint of a capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
csimon1
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have attached the image. The question is --

What is the potential energy of a proton at the midpoint of the capacitor?

I know this is an extremely easy problem, but I can't seem to get the formula right...

Homework Equations



I tried U = qV, using 1.6*10^-19 * 150V (because it is in the middle). What am I doing wrong? Is this not the right formula?


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • jfk.Figure.21.P12.jpg
    jfk.Figure.21.P12.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF!
I know a hard way to solve the question. I'm not sure it is of help in your case, but in case you've taken calculus 3 then it's ok.
[tex]\phi (r)= \int _{\infty}^r \vec E \cdot d \vec l[/tex]. Thus the almost only difficulty would be to calculate the E field between the plates of the capacitor.

There might be of course a much faster way to solve it. So if anyone can help, welcome!