What Does 'Mutual Potential Energy' Refer to in a Hydrogen Atom?

In summary, the potential energy function is just the Coulomb potential energy and the angular momentum energy is a part of kinetic energy.
Erik 05

Homework Statement

Hence calculate the expectation value and uncertainty of the mutual potential energy of the electron and proton for a hydrogen atom in this state.

This is the Coulomb model, and that is the question. I just need to know if 'mutual potential energy' means the effective potential energy, or just the Coulomb potential energy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think probably it's just Coulomb...

Physics news on Phys.org
The word "Hence" suggests that there is more statement of the problem preceding what you posted which might be relevant to answering your question. Specifically what "this state" refers to. From the looks of it, however, I would agree that it's just the Coulomb potential energy.

The part before is "Calculate the expectation values of 1/r and 1/r^2 in the state described by ψ2,1,−1."

Erik 05 said:
The part before is "Calculate the expectation values of 1/r and 1/r^2 in the state described by ψ2,1,−1."
And what is the mutual potential energy function of a proton and an electron?

Coulomb, probably. What is throwing me is that the effective potential energy also includes a term for the angular momentum, but I would have thought the angular momentum energy was a part of kinetic energy.

Erik 05 said:
Coulomb, probably. What is throwing me is that the effective potential energy also includes a term for the angular momentum, but I would have thought the angular momentum energy was a part of kinetic energy.
Classically, the rotational part of kinetic energy is ##K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}mr^2 \dot{\phi}^2##. Because angular momentum is conserved in a central potential, ##L=mr^2 \dot{\phi}=const.~##This allows rewriting ##K_{rot.}=\frac{L^2}{2mr^2}##. It looks like a potential, but it isn't.

Quantum mechanically, the potential term in the Hamiltonian is ##V(r)=-\frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}##. You put that in the time independent Schrodinger equation, turn the crank to separate variables, and out comes a term with ##\frac{L(L+1)}{2mr^2}## in the radial part of the equation. Still not a potential; you have already taken the potential into account as ##V(r)##.

Last edited:
Ok, that's clear, thanks.

What is mutual potential energy?

Mutual potential energy is the potential energy that exists between two or more objects due to their mutual interaction or attraction.

How is mutual potential energy calculated?

Mutual potential energy is calculated using the equation E = -Gm1m2/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the relationship between mutual potential energy and distance?

The relationship between mutual potential energy and distance is inverse. As the distance between two objects increases, the mutual potential energy decreases. This means that the closer two objects are, the stronger their mutual potential energy.

Can mutual potential energy be negative?

Yes, mutual potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two objects have opposite charges and are repelling each other, or when the objects have different signs of charge in electrostatic interactions.

What are some real-life examples of mutual potential energy?

Some real-life examples of mutual potential energy include the gravitational potential energy between planets in our solar system, the electrostatic potential energy between charged particles, and the chemical potential energy between atoms in a molecule.