Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help proving polynomial identity

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following when p is a positive integer:
    [tex]b^p - a^p = (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

Hint: Use the telescoping property for sums.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried reducing it to, [tex](b-a)\sum_{k=1}^p b^{p-k}a^{k-1}[/tex] but I wasn't able to do anything with it.

I've been trying to work on this exercise which is a part of a problem set in induction. But I've been having quite a bit of difficulty and I'd appreciate it if somebody here could give me a hint as to the general direction. It's been bugging me for the past few days.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what telescoping is but er

[tex] (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

is [tex]b(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1}) -a(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex].

If you can't see what that gives, expand it out by executing the multiplications and collecting up terms.

Quite a useful and important formula. When you do geometric series the same one is involved - make the relation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook