1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help proving polynomial identity

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following when p is a positive integer:
    [tex]b^p - a^p = (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

Hint: Use the telescoping property for sums.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried reducing it to, [tex](b-a)\sum_{k=1}^p b^{p-k}a^{k-1}[/tex] but I wasn't able to do anything with it.

I've been trying to work on this exercise which is a part of a problem set in induction. But I've been having quite a bit of difficulty and I'd appreciate it if somebody here could give me a hint as to the general direction. It's been bugging me for the past few days.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what telescoping is but er

[tex] (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

is [tex]b(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1}) -a(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex].

If you can't see what that gives, expand it out by executing the multiplications and collecting up terms.

Quite a useful and important formula. When you do geometric series the same one is involved - make the relation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook