1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! (required force to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg with two rollers)

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    page0003.jpg

what is the required force to start moving a sliding door weighing 100 kg with two rollers.
    what are the forces acting on the system?

shall i used rolling friction on this?

what formula to use?

thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi johnpaul! Welcome to PF! :wink:

There's no such thing as "rolling friction", since a pair of rolling surfaces don't move with respect to each other.

There's rolling resistance, which is essentially energy lost due to deformation of the wheel, but I shouldn't think three's much of that with steel.

The main problem will be friction between the wheel and the axle though its centre. :smile:

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

But wouldn't the bearings be subject to rolling resistance as opposed to friction?
    Maybe you assumed no bearings whereas I assumed bearings :-)

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4
    hi tim, hi molydood,

please correct me if im wrong.

here's my computation:

Weight of door=100 kg
    Number of wheels= 2
    Weight per wheel =(100kg)/(2)= 50kg

F1= αW / r

F1- resistant force of a single wheel
    α - coefficient of rolling friction
    W - weight
    r - radius (0.015m)

F1≈(0.0005 m)(50 kg) / (0.015 m)
    F1≈ 1.67 kg; say 2kg

F''≈(F1)(2 wheels)
    F''≈(2kg)(2 wheels)
    F''≈4 kg

Force to move the 100 kg door horizontally:
    F≈ 4 kg

Values for rolling friction from various sources are not consistent and the following values should only be used for approximate calculations.

Steel on Steel α = 0.0005m

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5
    hi,

can anyone advise me what is the proper way in computing the friction between wheel and the axle? its just a simple door carrier(please refer to the drawings above).

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook