1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help showing that G/H is a group?

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Hi guys

I was just wondering whether anyone could help me with Group Theory

I am trying to prove that G/H is a group (where G is a group and H is a normal subgroup of G)

I know that i need to go through the 4 properties, Identity, inverse, Associativity and Closure but i'm not sure where to start. I'm also not sure how to properly define the composition Law in G/H

Is anybody able to help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2
    The elements of G/H are cosets of the form aH, where a is in G. If aH and bH are in G/H, the composition law is given by (aH)(bH) = (ab)H. In addition to whatever group properties, you must also show that this law of composition is well-defined. That is, if aH = a'H and bH = b'H, then (aH)(bH) = (a'H)(b'H).

4. May 14, 2010 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First start by defining the group operation.

The elements of G/H are the cosets of H. (Let's say left cosets for definiteness. It actually doesn't matter because left cosets and right cosets are the same thing for normal subgroups, but I don't know if you have proved that yet.)

Thus [tex]G/H = \{gH : g \in G\}[/tex].

I claim that the following is a well-defined operation on G/H:

[tex](aH)(bH) = (ab)H[/tex]

However, before you can proceed, you need to verify that this is well-defined. Why is this an issue? It's because the coset [itex]aH[/itex] has multiple elements (assuming H is not trivial), and [itex]a[/itex] is only one of the elements. Therefore you must show that if [itex]a_1 H = a_2 H[/itex] and [itex]b_1 H = b_2 H[/itex], then [itex](a_1 b_1)H = (a_2 b_2)H[/itex].

Once you have done that, you can proceed with verifying that the group axioms hold. (Hint: H is the identity element.)

5. May 14, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the help, i was just wondering how i go about showing that it was well defined. I tried to use the facts that were given

I didn't know what to do once (aH)(bH) = (ab)H....is the next step to say that this is ab'H?

6. May 14, 2010 #5
    I have now come to this conclusion:

i need to show that (ab)H = (a'b')H

First step: (ab)H = aHbH = a'Hb'H = (a'b')H

Is that how to show its well defined or is there anything that i wasnt allowed to do?

7. May 14, 2010 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, if the goal is to show that an operation is well-defined, you can't use that operation (thereby implicitly assuming it's well-defined) as part of the proof. Also, you didn't use the fact that H is a normal subgroup of G, which should be a red flag that something is wrong.

Try proceeding this way instead:

We assume that aH = a'H and bH = b'H.

Then

abH = ab'H

Now, *if* it were true that b'H = Hb', then we could continue this way:

abH = ab'H = aHb' = a'Hb' = a'b'H

and we would be done.

So all we need to do is show that b'H = Hb'. How do we do that? Hint: we still haven't used the fact that H is normal.

8. May 14, 2010 #7
    For a group to be normal subgroup of another doesnt it mean gHg-1 belongs to H? I don't see how this would help?

9. May 14, 2010 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so your definition is that H is normal in G if

[tex]gHg^{-1} \subset H[/tex]

for every [itex]g \in G[/itex], right?

I claim that something stronger is true:

[tex]gHg^{-1} = H[/tex]

for every [itex]g \in G[/itex]. Assuming my claim is true, then I can simply multiply both sides on the right by [itex]g[/itex] to get

[tex]gH = Hg[/tex]

(Here I used [itex]g^{-1}g = 1[/itex].)

Now substitute [itex]b'[/itex] for [itex]g[/itex] and you get the desired

[tex]b'H = Hb'[/tex]

So now you just need to prove my claim. I suggest starting with

[tex]gHg^{-1} \subset H[/tex]

and think about how you can morph that into

[tex]H \subset g^{-1}Hg[/tex]

for all [itex]g \in G[/itex].

10. May 15, 2010 #9
    Can we just multiply both sides on the left by g-1 and the right by g so that it now becomes the required result? i.e. H is a subset of g-1Hg?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook