Help solving a Cauchy-Euler Equation (Differential equation help)

• Thread starter Jim4592
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation x^2y'' + xy' + 4y = 0 can be solved using the quadratic formula to obtain the roots r = 2i and r = -2i. The general solution can then be expressed as y = c1x2i + c2x-2i, but to remove the imaginary numbers, the solution can be rewritten in terms of sine and cosine using Euler's equation. The final solution is y = c1e^(-x)cos(2x) + c2e^(-x)sin(2x).
Jim4592

Homework Statement

x2y'' + xy' + 4y = 0

Homework Equations

y = xr
y' = r xr-1
y'' = r(r-1)xr-2

The Attempt at a Solution

x2[r(r-1)xr-2] + x [r xr-1] + 4xr = 0

(r2-r)xr + r xr + 4xr = 0

[(r2-r) + r + 4]xr = 0

r2 - r + r + 4 = 0

r2 + 4 = 0

from the quadratic equation i know that: r = 2i and r = -2i

so y = c1x2i + c2x-2i

my question is how can i remove the imaginary number from the answer.

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
x^2i can be expressed as e^(ln x^2i). Use Euler's equation to express that in terms of sine and cosine and you're done.

If the roots of your characteristic equation [itex]r^2 + (b-1)r + c = 0[/itex] (here a = 1, where a is the coefficient of r^2, b = 1, and c = 4) are complex (occurs since b^2 - 4ac < 0), then the general solution is

[tex]y= c_1 e^{\alpha x}\cos{\beta x} + c_2 e^{\alpha x}\sin{\beta x}[/tex]

where

[tex]r_1 = \overline{r_2} = \alpha + i\beta = \frac{-b}{2a} + i\frac{\sqrt{4ac - b^2}}{2a}[/tex]

so that

[tex]\alpha = \frac{-b}{2a} \mbox{ and } \beta = \frac{\sqrt{4ac - b^2}}{2a}[/tex]

(All you are doing is reducing Cauchy-Euler equation to a homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients)

1. What is a Cauchy-Euler equation?

A Cauchy-Euler equation is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that can be written in the form ax²y'' + bxy' + cy = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and y is a function of x. It is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Leonhard Euler.

2. How do I solve a Cauchy-Euler equation?

The first step in solving a Cauchy-Euler equation is to assume a solution of the form y = x^r, where r is a constant. Then, substitute this into the equation and solve for r. The general solution will be in the form of a linear combination of x^r and x^s, where s is another constant. The values of r and s depend on the roots of the characteristic equation.

3. What is the characteristic equation for a Cauchy-Euler equation?

The characteristic equation for a Cauchy-Euler equation is ar² + (b-a)r + c = 0. The roots of this equation will determine the values of r and s in the general solution.

4. Can a Cauchy-Euler equation have complex solutions?

Yes, a Cauchy-Euler equation can have complex solutions. This can happen when the roots of the characteristic equation are complex numbers. In this case, the general solution will involve complex numbers and the real and imaginary parts must be combined to form the final solution.

5. Are there any special cases for solving a Cauchy-Euler equation?

Yes, there are two special cases for solving a Cauchy-Euler equation. The first is when the roots of the characteristic equation are equal, resulting in a repeated solution. The second is when one of the roots is zero, resulting in a solution of the form y = c1x^r + c2ln(x), where c1 and c2 are constants.