Help solving a UHV problem (anodized aluminum)

In summary, the speaker realized a 4.5 m long aluminum tube for ultra high vacuum, but the internal surface was accidentally anodized. This can greatly enhance the outgassing rate, so the speaker is looking for a way to strip the anodized coating without damaging the surface. Some suggestions have been made, but the speaker is still concerned about potentially destroying the surface. The speaker also asked if anyone has experience with this issue. Some advice was given, including using a chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution, but the speaker is currently turbo pumping to see the extent of the problem.
Ogon Bat
I recently realized a quite long (4.5 m) tube for ultra high vacuum in alluminium. Unfortunately in the realization a terrible error has been made... The internal surface has been anodized! I know that such treatment horribly enhance the outgassing rate... I read over the net that in principle it is possible to strip the anodized coating using some chemicals... Someone suggest NaOH solution other acid treatment (sulfuric+chromic acid)... but I'm a little bit concerned to destroy the surface, to do worst instead to improve.

Has someone some experience in doing this stuff?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ogon Bat said:
I recently realized a quite long (4.5 m) tube for ultra high vacuum in alluminium. Unfortunately in the realization a terrible error has been made... The internal surface has been anodized! I know that such treatment horribly enhance the outgassing rate... I read over the net that in principle it is possible to strip the anodized coating using some chemicals... Someone suggest NaOH solution other acid treatment (sulfuric+chromic acid)... but I'm a little bit concerned to destroy the surface, to do worst instead to improve.

Has someone some experience in doing this stuff?
I worked in UHV a long time ago when 304 stainless steel was the standard material used for UHV vacuum chambers; so I don't have any direct experience with UHV aluminum chambers. But take a look at this: https://www.atlasuhv.com/products/vacuum-chambers/aluminum-vacuum-chambers/.

Assuming the tube was specifically prepared for a UHV chamber (was it?), the anodized coating is designed to passivate the surface and reduce outgassing [that makes a lot of sense to me]. Don't strip off the coating until you check!

CrysPhys said:
Assuming the tube was specifically prepared for a UHV chamber
Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately no, it was a mistake. The anodizing just had to be done externally... the company, absolutely not equipped to prepare UHV components, forgot to protect the inside part. I guess (i.e. I'm sure) that they have done a quite low cost treatment, not specific for UHV. However yes it is a good idea to try first.

Ogon Bat said:
However yes it is a good idea to try first.
Will you be able to try it in the next day or two and let us know how it goes? Or will it be a while to put the system together for initial tests?

berkeman said:
Will you be able to try it in the next day or two and let us know how it goes? Or will it be a while to put the system together for initial tests?
well the tube I hope will be shipped next week and then I will try with turbo pumps to see how things are going... For now, from the net, it seems a good idea to use a chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution...

You mentioned that the tube is quite long (4.5 m). What is the inner diameter?

All out-gassing stops eventually. A combination of vacuum and heat will accelerate that process.

Dullard said:
All out-gassing stops eventually. A combination of vacuum and heat will accelerate that process.
Well, that depends on how long "eventually" is. That's what distinguishes UHV. You need to be concerned about the outgassing rates and service temperatures (I baked my systems at 300 deg C) of the materials used for the chamber and used for the components within the chamber.

Last edited:
The inner diamater is 6 cm. For alluminium I cannot go over 180°C

Ogon Bat said:
well the tube I hope will be shipped next week and then I will try with turbo pumps to see how things are going... For now, from the net, it seems a good idea to use a chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution...
I don't quite understand. If the manufacturer messed up, and hasn't shipped yet, why don't you ask them to correct the problem (assuming it is a problem)? Otherwise, assuming you do need to etch away a crappy coating, do you have the facilities to handle etching of such a large (in particular, long) tube?

Sodium hydroxide is commonly used to remove anodized coatings on aluminum.

well now I'm turbo pumping... let's try to see how disastrous the situation is.

1. What is UHV?

UHV stands for Ultra High Vacuum, which is a vacuum environment with extremely low pressure and minimal gas molecules present.

2. What is the problem with anodized aluminum in UHV?

Anodized aluminum can release gas molecules when exposed to high vacuum, which can contaminate the vacuum environment and affect experimental results.

3. How can anodized aluminum be prepared for UHV?

Anodized aluminum can be prepared for UHV by baking it at high temperatures, typically above 200 degrees Celsius, to remove any trapped gas molecules and create a clean surface.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve UHV problems with anodized aluminum?

Some common techniques used to solve UHV problems with anodized aluminum include baking, sputtering, and using reactive gases to remove any contaminants from the surface.

5. Are there any alternative materials to anodized aluminum that can be used in UHV environments?

Yes, there are alternative materials such as stainless steel, titanium, and certain ceramics that have lower outgassing rates and are more suitable for use in UHV environments.