1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving nonhomogeneous de

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    Hey guys just asking for a bit of help to get me on the right track.

I have the non homogeneous de 4y" + 4y' + y = 3*x*e^x, which also has some inital conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0. but i only need help with getting the particular solution.

Tried method of constant coefficients and it didnt want to work for me.
    I end up using: y(p) = A*t*e^t which doent seem right when i substitute in y'(p) and y"(p) into the original equaltion.

Tried method of variation of parameters and i dont think that worked either as in the end i got y(p) = 0.

So far i get the auxilary eq: r^2 + r + 1/4 = 0
    =>(r + 1/2) = 0
    thus r1 = r2 = -1/2
    so y(h) = c1*e^-1/2*t + c2*t*e^-1/2*t

i just need help as to what method i would use to get a the particular solution y(p). from there its gravy :)

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

With respect to the method of constant coefficients: usually whenever there's a polynomial involved, you should include terms for all powers up to the order of the polynomial. In your case, you have y = (constant)*(polynomial)*(exponential), but you only included the linear term in your polynomial - you left out the constant term. Go back and try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x.

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    So obvious now you have pointed that out.

Im all over it like a bad rash now

Thanks heaps

5. May 7, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

:smile: I've made that mistake many times myself... ODEs can be annoyingly tricky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?