Help Solving the following Differential equation

In summary, Jose Z's attempt at solving the homework equation resulted in multiplying every term for (1/x-1), but was unsuccessful because y1 was a solution. He then tried solving it by replacing the y terms with Y and its derivatives, but it did not satisfy the equation. He then found v(x) by solving c1(ex(x-1)) for x, which resulted in v(x)=c1(ex(x-1)).
Jose Z

Homework Statement

Solve (x-1)y''-xy'+y=0 , given x>1 and y1=ex

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving it by multiplying everythin for (1/x-1), so my equation looks like:
y''-(x/x-1)y'+y=0 (because x-1 is unequal to 0) (1)
so now the equation has the form of:
y''+p(x)y'+y=0, with p(x)=(-x/x-1).
Then, given the fact that y1 is a solution, then another solution has the form Y(x)=v(x)y1
Then: Y'(x)=v'(x)y1+v(x)y1'
Y''(X)=v''(x)y1+v'(x)y1+v'(x)y1+v(x)y1'
Now, after replacing the y factors in (1) with Y and its derivatives, I get:
v''(x)y1+(2y1+p(x)y1=0,
Which can me solved as a first order differential equation by doing v''(x)=z'(x) and v'(x)=z(x).
Then, let μ(x)=e∫p(x)dx=e∫(-x/x-1)dx=e-x-ln(x-1)=e-x(1/x-1)
Then, z(x)=(∫μ(x)g(x)dx+c1)/μ(x)=c1/(e-x/(x-1))=c1(ex(x-1))

Now, because z(x)=v'(x)→∫z(x)dx=v(x)
Then I have v(x)=c1∫(ex(x-1)dx=c1((x-2)ex+c2)
But, whenever I do Y(x)=v(x)y1, and replace it in (1), it doesn't satisfy the equation-

Can somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first line I believe that you should have y''-(x/x-1)y'+y(1/(x-1))=0

Welcome to PF;
Is y1 a solution?

When you are given a solution, always try reduction of order.
Try y(x)=v(x)e^x and solve for v.

Jose Z said:

Homework Statement

Solve (x-1)y''-xy'+y=0 , given x>1 and y1=ex

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving it by multiplying everythin for (1/x-1), so my equation looks like:
y''-(x/x-1)y'+y=0 (because x-1 is unequal to 0) (1)
so now the equation has the form of:
y''+p(x)y'+y=0, with p(x)=(-x/x-1).
Then, given the fact that y1 is a solution, then another solution has the form Y(x)=v(x)y1
Then: Y'(x)=v'(x)y1+v(x)y1'
Y''(X)=v''(x)y1+v'(x)y1+v'(x)y1+v(x)y1'
Now, after replacing the y factors in (1) with Y and its derivatives, I get:
v''(x)y1+(2y1+p(x)y1=0,
Which can me solved as a first order differential equation by doing v''(x)=z'(x) and v'(x)=z(x).
Then, let μ(x)=e∫p(x)dx=e∫(-x/x-1)dx=e-x-ln(x-1)=e-x(1/x-1)
Then, z(x)=(∫μ(x)g(x)dx+c1)/μ(x)=c1/(e-x/(x-1))=c1(ex(x-1))

Now, because z(x)=v'(x)→∫z(x)dx=v(x)
Then I have v(x)=c1∫(ex(x-1)dx=c1((x-2)ex+c2)
But, whenever I do Y(x)=v(x)y1, and replace it in (1), it doesn't satisfy the equation-

Can somebody help?

Please learn to use parentheses properly, so that you write ##\frac{1}{x-1}## instead of ##\frac{1}{x}-1##, as you have done throughout (thus making everything you write incorrect). It's easy: just write 1/(x-1) instead of 1/x-1.

Ray Vickson said:
Please learn to use parentheses properly, so that you write ##\frac{1}{x-1}## instead of ##\frac{1}{x}-1##, as you have done throughout (thus making everything you write incorrect). It's easy: just write 1/(x-1) instead of 1/x-1.

Jose Z said:
@Jose Z, you have parentheses in what you wrote -- (1/x-1) -- the problem is that they are in the wrong place. They should be around the terms in the denominator, the way that Ray wrote the fraction, not around the entire fraction.

@Jose Z : How did you get on?

I feel we have been dumping on you somewhat ... I thought the use of parentheses in post #1 was clear from context and the proper use is only a recommended tweak for future consideration (It won't always be clear). As first posts go, yours was high quality: you have sincerely attempted the problem, as well as shown how you got stuck, so it is easy to decide what we need to tell you so you get the most out of these forums.

Well done and keep it up. :)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model and understand how quantities change over time or in relation to other variables.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for describing and predicting the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They also have numerous real-world applications, such as in modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and understanding the spread of diseases.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. It is also possible to use computational methods or software to solve differential equations numerically.

4. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific starting point. They are necessary for solving a differential equation as they provide the starting point for the solution and help determine the unique solution for a given equation.

5. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex or do not have known methods for finding an analytical solution. In such cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find a solution.