Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help taking a cross product of a matrix

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hey all

well the title says it all. if i want to take the cross product of two matrices, how do i do it? any help, advice, etc. is very appreciated!

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think there's a standard definition for the cross product of two matrices. How do you think that would work, or what would it mean (e.g. the cross product of two vectors gives a vector perpendicular to both; what would the cross product of two linear transformations be)?

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll take a stab: why do you want to take the cross product of two matrices, assuming such an animal exists?

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hey guys! ok, so let me explain the situation: im in a graduate fluid mechanics course and we are dealing with tensors, which are matrices. my professor was reviewing div, del, grad, and the rest of the operators with the kronecker delta and permutation epsilon. he did mention crossing two tensors! he also mentions "dotting" or taking the dot product, of two tensors. but it seems if this is not a "thing" maybe he will elaborate in tomorrow's lecture?

thanks for both your helps! this explains why google couldnt really help me either

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook