1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help - tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    Q: find the tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x) at (0,9)

I know how to do the tangent for a polar coordinate at an angle, but how find it at (0,9)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2
    Also, how do I evaluate lim n --> infinity of [ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)]?
  4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

For the first question...
    to find the equation of a tangent, you need the point and the gradient of the tangent at that point. So you already have the point (0,9).

Sub x=0 into the gradient function,[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] and you will get the gradient of the tangent at (0,9).

For your second problem:
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} [ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)][/tex]

is there any way you can simplify ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)?

and here is a hint:
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} log_a [f(x)] = log_a [lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(x)][/tex]
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not even sure what a "tangent for a polar coordinate at an angle" is, but finding the tangent to a curve at a given point is one of the first things I learned in calculus!

Or are you talking about the tangent of an angle? Surely not!

To find the tangent line to a curve at a given point, first find the derivative there: [itex]f'(x_0)[/itex]. The equation of the tangent line at [itex](x_0, f(x_0)[/itex] is [itex]y= f'(x_0)(x- x_0)[/itex]. The only "hard part" here is finding the derivative- and it's not all that hard. Use the product law along with the chain rule.

Well, you certainly know, I hope, that [itex]ln(10+x)- ln(5+ x)= ln((10+x)/(5+x))[/itex] and, since ln(x) is a continuous function, that is the ln of the limit of (10+x)/(5+x). Can you do that?
  6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    Last time I checked, yes!

And for the first question, I have to get the derivatie and evaluate it at [itex]y= fsingle-quote(x_0)(x- x_0)[/itex], correct?

How would I find the y-intercept?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  7. Dec 13, 2007 #6
    One more thing, how do i show that (-5)^n over n*5^n

converges? By the alternating series test? I am not sure how to manupulate the (-5)^n on the top.

Sorry about the stupid questions, I am trying to prepare for the test.

EDIT: i guess It's just (-1)^n(5)^n...
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  8. Dec 14, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you have to evaluate the derivative at x= 0. I can see no reason why you would want to find the y-intercept.

You mean

What can you say about convergence of

That's obviously what your series reduces to.
  9. Dec 14, 2007 #8
    it converges conditionally.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?