Help - tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary: So what is the final answer to the question?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangent to the curve y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x) at the point (0,9). The process involves finding the derivative at the given point and using it to find the equation of the tangent line. The conversation also touches on evaluating a limit and manipulating series to show convergence.
frasifrasi
Q: find the tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x) at (0,9)

I know how to do the tangent for a polar coordinate at an angle, but how find it at (0,9)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how do I evaluate lim n --> infinity of [ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)]?

For the first question...
to find the equation of a tangent, you need the point and the gradient of the tangent at that point. So you already have the point (0,9).

Sub x=0 into the gradient function,[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] and you will get the gradient of the tangent at (0,9).

For your second problem:
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} [ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)][/tex]

is there any way you can simplify ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)?

and here is a hint:
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} log_a [f(x)] = log_a [lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(x)][/tex]

frasifrasi said:
Q: find the tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x) at (0,9)

I know how to do the tangent for a polar coordinate at an angle, but how find it at (0,9)?
I'm not even sure what a "tangent for a polar coordinate at an angle" is, but finding the tangent to a curve at a given point is one of the first things I learned in calculus!

Or are you talking about the tangent of an angle? Surely not!

To find the tangent line to a curve at a given point, first find the derivative there: [itex]f'(x_0)[/itex]. The equation of the tangent line at [itex](x_0, f(x_0)[/itex] is [itex]y= f'(x_0)(x- x_0)[/itex]. The only "hard part" here is finding the derivative- and it's not all that hard. Use the product law along with the chain rule.

frasifrasi said:
Also, how do I evaluate lim n --> infinity of [ln(10+x) - ln(5+x)]?
Well, you certainly know, I hope, that [itex]ln(10+x)- ln(5+ x)= ln((10+x)/(5+x))[/itex] and, since ln(x) is a continuous function, that is the ln of the limit of (10+x)/(5+x). Can you do that?

Last time I checked, yes!

And for the first question, I have to get the derivatie and evaluate it at [itex]y= fsingle-quote(x_0)(x- x_0)[/itex], correct?

How would I find the y-intercept?

Last edited:
One more thing, how do i show that (-5)^n over n*5^n

converges? By the alternating series test? I am not sure how to manupulate the (-5)^n on the top.

Sorry about the stupid questions, I am trying to prepare for the test.

EDIT: i guess It's just (-1)^n(5)^n...

Last edited:
frasifrasi said:
Last time I checked, yes!

And for the first question, I have to get the derivatie and evaluate it at [itex]y= fsingle-quote(x_0)(x- x_0)[/itex], correct?

How would I find the y-intercept?
No, you have to evaluate the derivative at x= 0. I can see no reason why you would want to find the y-intercept.

frasifrasi said:
One more thing, how do i show that (-5)^n over n*5^n

converges? By the alternating series test? I am not sure how to manupulate the (-5)^n on the top.

Sorry about the stupid questions, I am trying to prepare for the test.

EDIT: i guess It's just (-1)^n(5)^n...
You mean
[tex]\frac{(-5)^n}{n5^n}[/tex]?

What can you say about convergence of
[tex]\frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex]?

That's obviously what your series reduces to.

it converges conditionally.

1. What is the equation for the tangent line to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)?

The equation for the tangent line to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x) can be found using the derivative of the function, which is y' = 18e^(2x)cos(pi*x) - 9pi*sin(pi*x). The slope of the tangent line at any point can be calculated by plugging in the x-coordinate of that point into the derivative.

2. How do you find the point(s) of tangency for y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)?

The point(s) of tangency can be found by equating the slope of the tangent line to the derivative of the function at that point. This will give you an equation with one unknown, which can be solved to find the x-coordinate(s) of the point(s) of tangency. Then, plugging the x-coordinate(s) into the original function will give you the y-coordinate(s) of the point(s) of tangency.

3. What is the equation of the normal line to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)?

The equation of the normal line can be found by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line at any given point. This will give you the slope of the normal line. Then, using the point-slope form of a line, you can find the equation of the normal line by plugging in the coordinates of the point of tangency.

4. How do you determine if a line is tangent to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)?

A line is tangent to a curve at a given point if the slope of the line at that point is equal to the slope of the curve at that point. This means that the derivative of the function at that point must be equal to the slope of the line. If this condition is met, the line is tangent to the curve at that point.

5. Can you explain the relationship between the derivative and the tangent line to y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x)?

The derivative of a function at a given point represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. This means that by finding the derivative of y = 9e^(2x)cos(pi*x), we can determine the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve. This allows us to find the equation of the tangent line and the point(s) of tangency.