Help Tension and Acceleration of 2 masses with a pulley

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a physics problem and being directed to a helpful resource. They receive hints and tips on how to approach the problem, including drawing free body diagrams and using the equation ΣF = ma. The conversation also addresses the person's confusion about finding the tension in the system and the importance of understanding the concepts in order to solve the problem.
drastice
Here is the
28chr9e.jpg

Please teach me how to solve this
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Show your work and you'll get plenty of help.

You might want to read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/N2st.html#c1"

Well i don't have a lot of work to show.. I know
F=ma
The bottom one i believe would be *gravity (9.*8)
i'm just really lost on what equation i need to be using to get the tension in this setup

Last edited by a moderator:
Start by looking over some of the problems in that link I gave you.

You'll need to draw free body diagrams for each mass, then apply Newton's 2nd law to each.

m2g-t=m2a
t=m1a

??
but i am missing acceleration and tension so how do i solve when i have 2 unknowns?

you sure tension on m2 till be just T ?

and use the hint of question to find the acceleration of the blocks

drastice said:
m2g-t=m2a
t=m1a
Almost. Fix your first equation using cupid.callin's hint.

but i am missing acceleration and tension so how do i solve when i have 2 unknowns?
Luckily you have two equations.

cupid.callin said:
you sure tension on m2 till be just T ?

and use the hint of question to find the acceleration of the blocks

i'm not sure what you mean by that.. I'm looking at the link he gave me using the horrizontal pulley... Is this not the right equation? i don't see why you guys can't help me with the right equation

and for acceleration m2*gravity/m1+m2 = acceleration right??

drastice said:
i'm not sure what you mean by that.. I'm looking at the link he gave me using the horrizontal pulley... Is this not the right equation?
That's a different problem. In your problem there's a pulley attached to the falling mass. Get the idea, don't just copy the equation.
i don't see why you guys can't help me with the right equation
We are helping. (But we're not going to do it for you.)
and for acceleration m2*gravity/m1+m2 = acceleration right??
No.

Don't skip steps. Fix your equation for the falling mass. Then you can solve for the acceleration and tension.

Doc Al said:
That's a different problem. In your problem there's a pulley attached to the falling mass. Get the idea, don't just copy the equation.

We are helping. (But we're not going to do it for you.)

No.

Don't skip steps. Fix your equation for the falling mass. Then you can solve for the acceleration and tension.

I don't expect you to do it for me... All i am asking is for the right equation.. I understand how to get acceleration I'm having trouble with the Tension..
i don't understand when he says "you sure tension on m2 till be just T ?"

How many rope segments pull on mass 2?

Theres one pulling from mass1 and one in hte opposite direction from the ceiling..
How do i add this to the equation?

What are all the forces acting on m2? Each rope segment applies its own tension.

Doc Al said:
What are all the forces acting on m2? Each rope segment applies its own tension.

it has gravity and tension from both ropes..
I have no idea how to add this to the equation though.

this problem is due in 18 minutes...
i just don't understand that equation.. You're not doing the problem for me be helping me with an equation... ;[

drastice said:
it has gravity and tension from both ropes..
I have no idea how to add this to the equation though.
You don't 'add it' to the equation, you use it to come up with a correct equation. The approach is always the same: ΣF = ma.

We've been focusing on the forces on m2 (the ΣF part of the equation), but you are making a second error. You have called the acceleration of each mass 'a', but their accelerations are not the same. (See the hint given in your diagram.)

i just don't understand that equation.. You're not doing the problem for me be helping me with an equation... ;[

Doing the problem for you would be against the rules. If you don't understand the help that is given to you, then you must learn more so you can understand it.

1. How does a pulley help with tension and acceleration in a system with 2 masses?

A pulley is a simple machine that helps to redirect and distribute forces in a system. In the case of 2 masses connected by a pulley, the pulley helps to distribute the tension force between the two masses, allowing for a more balanced and efficient transfer of forces. This results in a smoother acceleration for both masses.

2. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration in a system with a pulley?

In a system with a pulley, the tension in the rope is directly related to the acceleration of the masses. If the tension increases, the acceleration of the masses also increases. Similarly, if the tension decreases, the acceleration decreases.

3. How does the mass of the pulley affect tension and acceleration in a system?

The mass of the pulley does not directly affect the tension and acceleration in a system with two masses. However, a heavier pulley may increase the overall mass of the system, which can affect the acceleration due to the force of gravity acting on the masses.

4. Can a pulley increase the acceleration of the masses in a system?

Yes, a pulley can increase the acceleration of the masses in a system by reducing the amount of friction and distributing the tension force more evenly. This results in a more efficient transfer of forces, allowing for a greater acceleration of the masses.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pulley in a system with 2 masses?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a pulley in a system with 2 masses. The pulley must be strong enough to support the masses and the tension force between them. Additionally, the rope or string used in the system must also be strong enough to withstand the tension force. If these limitations are not met, the pulley may fail and the system will not function properly.