1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help this problem cost me much time

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1
    english is my second language,if there are some wrong in the sentence ,don't laugh at me :redface:

dig a columniform cavity in a infinity uniformity magnetic medium.the

cavity's radius is r and the high is h,and the axis of the cavity parallels

the direction of magnetization M in the medium.
    question:1)when h>>r,the magnetic field strength H of the point in the cavity = the magnetic field strength H in the medium.
    2) when r>>h,the magnetic induction strength B of the point in the cavity = magnetic induction strength B in the medium.
    haw to testify ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll start by trying to translate the question. Could you tell us what your first language is?

Make a cylindrical cavity through an infinitely large uniformly magnetic medium. The cylinder's radius is r and its height is h and the axis of the cylinder is parallel to the direction of the magnetic field in the medium.

1) when h>>r, the magnetic field strength H at any point in the cavity is equal to the magnetic field strength in the medium

2) where r>>h, the magnetic induction B of the point in the cylinder is equal to the magnetic induction B in the magnetic medium.

How do you explain this?​

Perhaps that will get a response for you.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  4. Aug 16, 2006 #3
    thank you very much,my first language is chinese.i'm not good at english,don't laugh at me . there is no problem in your interpretation.
  5. Aug 16, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. I was a little unsure about the difference between magnetic induction and the magnetic field at first, but I think I understand the problem now.

The magnetic field strength H is the magnetic field that would exist in the absence of the magnetic material (ie in a vacuum), divided by [itex]\mu_0[/itex], the permeability of free space. The magnetic induction B, is the actual measured magnetic field (which depends on the permeability of the magnetic material). H represents a kind of fundamental magnitude of the magnetic field that is independent of the permeability of the material.

[tex]B = \mu H[/tex]

Does that help you to answer the question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?