Help to understand polytropic exponent and efficiency

In summary, the polytropic exponent, n, accounts for losses in a polytropic process, while the specific heat ratio, k, only takes into account the quantity of heat being transferred.
Sorade
Hello all,

I am new to thermodynamics applied to turbines and compressors and I am trying to get my head around what is represented when calculating the work of a compression/expansion process using the polytropic exponent as oppose to the specific heat ratio of 1.4 (I'm working with air).

The attached image ( from Çengel, Y. a. (2004). Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach. McGraw-Hill.)

Shows the equations for polytropic compression.
Polytropic_eq.PNG

So I have two questions:
1) is the polytropic equation taking into account any heat losses compared to the following isentropic equation:
Isentropic_eq.PNG

At the moment I am using the isentropic formulae and dividing it by the isentropic effciency which gives me a work value slightly higher accounting for irreversibilities.

2) What is the difference between using the polytropic exponent, n. Like in the first equation. And using the polytropic efficiency as below:
Poleff_eq.png

The reason I am asking is because using the polytropic exponent, n gives me greater efficiencies for my compression and expansion system than the ratio of specific heats, k. i.e lower compressor work and greater turbine work. Which I wouldn't expect if the polytopic exponent accounted for losses.

Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorade said:
... I have two questions:
1) is the polytropic equation taking into account any heat losses compared to the following isentropic equation:View attachment 99520
At the moment I am using the isentropic formulae and dividing it by the isentropic effciency which gives me a work value slightly higher accounting for irreversibilities.

2) What is the difference between using the polytropic exponent, n. Like in the first equation. And using the polytropic efficiency as below:
View attachment 99521
The reason I am asking is because using the polytropic exponent, n gives me greater efficiencies for my compression and expansion system than the ratio of specific heats, k. i.e lower compressor work and greater turbine work. Which I wouldn't expect if the polytopic exponent accounted for losses.

Thank you for your help.

To part 1, a polytropic process assumes that during compression/expansion, the ratio of work being done to heat being transferred is a constant. One example is when air is compressed in an engine's cylinder. There is work being done on the gas, and as it heats up, it transfers heat out of the cylinder. The P-V diagram typically suggests a polytropic expansion coefficient of 1.3. The catch (in my mind) is that it's doubtful that the ratio of work to heat is constant - the cylinder walls here could be hotter than the air at one point in time, and cooler at another. I haven't given much thought about what conditions would actually cause a truly constant value of n, but I suspect they are rare.

I can't say much about part 2, as I haven't thought through a comparison of the two methods you described.

In a polytropic process, heat is being exchanged with the surroundings in such a manner that the exponent n remains constant. In an adiabatic reversible process, no heat is exchanged with the surroundings. So, in a polytropic process, you need to determine Q, the heat transferred to the system, and take that into account in your efficiency analysis.

Thank you both for your replies. Since my system is being greatly approximated I might just work out the work done for an isentropic process and correct it by using an isentropic efficiency value.

EDIT:

@Chestermiller , I was thinking a bit more about what you said. In my situation, I know the electrical energy needed to compress a gas, the fuel needed for heating prior to expansion, and the electrical energy produced when releasing the gas through a turbine (I assume that the generator can convert the mechanical energy with 100%). During expansion, if heat is transferred from the environment to the gas (making the process polytropic) then shouldn't I consider this energy to be "free" as it will mean that I won't have to heat up my gas as much prior to expanding it ? And therefore, should it really be included in my system primary energy efficiency (PE) or should I do something like PE = (Wout_electric) / ((Win_electric/PE_CCGT)+Fuel_energy)

Last edited:
Likes Randy Beikmann

1. What is the polytropic exponent and how is it calculated?

The polytropic exponent is a value used to describe the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic process. It is typically denoted by the symbol n and is calculated by taking the logarithmic derivative of the pressure with respect to volume.

2. How does the polytropic exponent affect the efficiency of a process?

The polytropic exponent is directly related to the efficiency of a process. A higher value of n indicates a steeper slope on a pressure-volume graph, which means that more work is being done during the process. This results in a higher efficiency for the process.

3. Can the polytropic exponent change during a process?

Yes, the polytropic exponent can change during a process. This is because the value of n depends on the conditions of the system, such as the type of gas being used and the temperature and pressure at which the process is taking place.

4. How is the polytropic exponent related to the adiabatic and isothermal processes?

The adiabatic process has a polytropic exponent of n=1, while the isothermal process has a value of n=0. These values are specific to these types of processes and are not interchangeable. However, other processes can have different values of n that fall between these two extremes.

5. Are there any limitations to using the polytropic exponent to describe a process?

Yes, there are limitations to using the polytropic exponent as a description of a process. It assumes that the gas being used is ideal and that there are no energy losses during the process. In reality, there may be other factors that affect the efficiency of a process, so the polytropic exponent should be used as a rough estimate rather than an exact measurement.