Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Trying to Make a Spring Car No Mouse Traps!

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    I am a senior in High School, I have been given a 3" X 1/2" compression spring that must power a car. This is not a mouse trap powered car, (that was last year). I need help trying to determine high to harness the extreme energy stored in this heavy spring and somehow get a car to travel the farthest. In the mouse trap car it was very easy I simply used a rod long enough to slowly release the energy over a long time period. With this spring I would need a 2X4 attached to wheels. I have tried to attach a small fish line to the spring and then around the axle, but there is so much pressure when the spring is compressed that it does not wrap around the axle. I have tried wire, wax string rubber coated string, I just think that variation will not work, I need some other input. Thank you Nate!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try using a lever on the spring to reduce the force then use string on end of lever wrapped around an axle.

There are four basic machines I can think of which can trade off force vs. distance of travel.
    The lever
    The pulley
    The inclined plane or wedge
    and systems of pistons pneumatic or hydrolic.

I would guess a piston system is too complex for your application.
    I would think a wedge system would have too much friction for your application. These are better for increasing forces.
    This leaves levers and pulleys and I think you'll find some combination is best.

I would also suggest you try thinking of the problem in reverse... how to compress or stretch that spring by rolling your car. This may help you visualize different possible configurations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook